Re: [mythsoc] $2,233.97 for a used book about the Inklings?

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2010
      Yeah, the price is insane. Bookfinder shows another copy for sale for $1,503.49. And just one other for $129.31, a more reasonable price for an out-of-print book. I've seen this kind of thing before, where a seller picks some arbitrarily ridiculous price and sets it out there to sit and wait -- possibly for years and years -- hoping for the world's most gullible person to come along and find it.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
        "Women Among the Inklings" has regularly been listed online at more than $1,000.00 for at least the past couple years (I first checked it on amazon after hearing some discussion of its merits and flaws at the 2008 Mythcon). One of the authors, Sam McBride, was at 2009 Mythcon, and I asked if he had any extra copies he'd like to sell for a more reasonable figure. He did not, and was likewise astounded at the prices being quoted -- money which he certainly wasn't seeing!

        -Merlin

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
            Definitely, Merlin - the authors get NOTHING from the reselling of books, unless they're the ones doing the reselling - part of why I like to buy directly from the author, whenever possible - it gives them a bit more for their work than the pennies the publisher provides. *sigh*

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
              heh! Well, depending on his contract, the author(s) may be able to reprint himself... Lulu (and other POD companies) can be your good friend!

              -- Lynn --