Re: [mythsoc] $2,233.97 for a used book about the Inklings?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010
      Notice though that it's two different sellers.  Are you saying that they each made the same mistake?

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 8/8/2010 9:38:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, alanajoli@... writes:

      Maybe they just hit the 2 key twice accidentally? ($233.97 I could understand.)

      -Alana

      On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM, <WendellWag@aol. com> wrote:

      Is this some kind of sick joke?:

      $2,233.97 for either of two copies of a used book about the Inklings which isn't even very old?  Even granted that it was a little expensive when new and is now out of print, does this make any sense?

      Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (http://www.virgilan dbeatrice. com)
      Author of "Nomi's Wish" (http://coyotewildma g.com/2008/ august/abbott_ nomis_wish. html), featured in Coyote Wild Magazine
      Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl. com/serenity- adventures

    • Jonathan
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010
        I might buy it if the book was at ABE and at a lower cost in those respective conditions, but $2,233.97?
        I agree with YOU, Wendell...
        Jonathan Michael Reiter
        jmr

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010
          It seems to me that the fact that they have exactly the same price, down to the penny, is pretty strong evidence that one of them did copy from the other.  Possibly without thinking whether the price made sense.  This would be just as true if the price _were_ $233.97, an equally precise figure.  Automated price copying is a well-known phenomenon; airlines use it to set fares all the time.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2010
            Yeah, the price is insane. Bookfinder shows another copy for sale for $1,503.49. And just one other for $129.31, a more reasonable price for an out-of-print book. I've seen this kind of thing before, where a seller picks some arbitrarily ridiculous price and sets it out there to sit and wait -- possibly for years and years -- hoping for the world's most gullible person to come along and find it.

            $2,233.97 for either of two copies of a used book about the Inklings which isn't even very old?  Even granted that it was a little expensive when new and is now out of print, does this make any sense?

            Wendell Wagner
          • not_thou
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
              "Women Among the Inklings" has regularly been listed online at more than $1,000.00 for at least the past couple years (I first checked it on amazon after hearing some discussion of its merits and flaws at the 2008 Mythcon). One of the authors, Sam McBride, was at 2009 Mythcon, and I asked if he had any extra copies he'd like to sell for a more reasonable figure. He did not, and was likewise astounded at the prices being quoted -- money which he certainly wasn't seeing!

              -Merlin

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
                  Definitely, Merlin - the authors get NOTHING from the reselling of books, unless they're the ones doing the reselling - part of why I like to buy directly from the author, whenever possible - it gives them a bit more for their work than the pennies the publisher provides. *sigh*

                  -- Lynn --

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010
                    heh! Well, depending on his contract, the author(s) may be able to reprint himself... Lulu (and other POD companies) can be your good friend!

                    -- Lynn --