An episode of a TV program mentioning the Inklings

  • Sue Bridgwater
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
      Sorry you dislike Lewis, which I enjoy very much - I also loved the episode, surely the point was that the protagonist who saw himself as starting a New Inklings group had no idea what he was on about?  (Neither did Lewis, but that's true to the character).  I felt it was a good sign that the makers thought the Tolkien/CSLewis axis to be familiar enough to most people to form a strong part of an episode of a popular programme - and a nice pun on the two Lewises.  Ah well, we can't all like everything!

      from Sue

    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3 3:50 PM
        I don't know that I'd concur with the "neither did (CS) Lewis" about knowing what he was doing w/the Inklings. I think it unlikely that he realized he & JRRT were starting a writers group which would meet for the next (18? something like that!) years - but I *do* think he had a clue what he was doing; at least Glyer's THE COMPANY THEY KEEP would indicate some degree of awareness. YMMV.

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Sue Bridgwater <suebridgwater@...> wrote:

        > Sorry you dislike Lewis, which I enjoy very much - I also loved the episode, surely the point was that the protagonist who saw himself as starting a New Inklings group had no idea what he was on about?  (Neither did Lewis, but that's true to the character).  I felt it was a good sign that the makers thought the Tolkien/CSLewis axis to be familiar enough to most people to form a strong part of an episode of a popular programme - and a nice pun on the two Lewises.  Ah well, we can't all like everything!
        >
        > from Sue

      • Sue Bridgwater
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4 7:04 AM
          Lynn, I have confused you - I meant Inspector Lewis knew nothing about it, any more than the character who saw himself as starting an emulatory group!  Sorry, I'm used to referring to him as Lewis, apres Morse. I call the Narnia man CSL.

          from Sue

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6 12:10 AM
            Yup, misunderstood you completely but understandably, considering the multiple Lewises involved!