Re: awards

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18 3:13 AM
      I corresponded with David Bratman, who is not on this list, and he confirmed
      that (contrary to a note posted here recently) the final balloting deadline for
      the Mythopoeic Awards is JULY 15, not June 15. I don't know that he'd still
      accept any volunteers for the committees, but whether for this year or next, you
      must commit (at minimum) to reading all 5 nominees & voting for the award. (Of
      course there are only 4 nominees in each of the Scholarship categories, due to a
      tie in the preliminary balloting for the 5th place, and a dearth of nominees in
      the other case). Contact David Bratman for more information about the awards at
      d.bratman@...

      David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
      St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
      fax: (612)626-2454
      e-mail: d-lena@...

      Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
      http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html

      David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
      St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
      fax: (612)626-2454
      e-mail: d-lena@...

      Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
      http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
        So, Mythcon's over -- who won the Mythopoeic awards? Anyone care to
        post? And how did the con go generally?
        --JDR
      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
          Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all. The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc. I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

          As for the awards:

          Inkings: Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
          Myth and Fantasy: Jennifer Schacker, National Dreams: The Remaking of Fairy Tales in Nineteenth-Century England
          Children's: Jonathan Stroud, The Bartimaeus Trilogy
          Adult: Neil Gaiman, Anasasi Boys

          **************************************
          David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Humanities-Social Sciences Division
          Oklahoma State University Library
          Stillwater, OK 74078
          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
          Email: d.oberhelman@...

          So, Mythcon's over -- who won the Mythopoeic awards? Anyone care to
          post? And how did the con go generally?
          --JDR

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
            From: "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>

            > Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in
            > planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all.
            > The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both
            > outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of
            > topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc.
            > I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed
            > ourselves thoroughly.
            >
            > **************************************
            > David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
            > Associate Professor
            > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
            > Oklahoma State University Library
            > Stillwater, OK 74078
            > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
            > Email: d.oberhelman@...

            It should be noted, too, that David Oberhelman is one of two new stewards
            announced at Mythcon. I'm sorry -- I forgot which position David is doing.
            We also have a new webmaster (Randy Hoyt? Was that the name?) as the other
            new steward. The discussion groups position was rolled into the membership
            secretary under Marion Van Loo.

            Berni
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006