An episode of a TV program mentioning the Inklings

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
      Has anyone else seen the episode called "The Allegory of Love" of the program called Lewis?  (That's the British title of the series.  In the U.S. it's called Inspector Lewis to emphasize the fact that it's a sequel to the series Inspector Morse.)  I watched some of this episode last night.  I bring this up not because the series is very good, since it isn't, nor because the episode is very good, since it's pretty poor.  I mention this because this episode has a lot of references to the Inklings (including the title of the episode).  The series is about a police detective in Oxford.  The episode is full of amazingly snide digs at the Inklings and anyone who likes reading the Inklings.  The episode was first shown in the U.K. on March 22, 2009.  I'm surprised that I've never heard anyone mention it.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Kathleen Lamantia
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
        I saw it on my local PBS station last fall, I believe.

        I don't remember much about it specifically, except that I thought whoever wrote it had a very poor understanding of who The Inklings were, in every sense.

        To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        From: WendellWag@...
        Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:44:13 -0400
        Subject: [mythsoc] An episode of a TV program mentioning the Inklings

        Has anyone else seen the episode called "The Allegory of Love" of the program called Lewis?  (That's the British title of the series.  In the U.S. it's called Inspector Lewis to emphasize the fact that it's a sequel to the series Inspector Morse.)  I watched some of this episode last night.  I bring this up not because the series is very good, since it isn't, nor because the episode is very good, since it's pretty poor.  I mention this because this episode has a lot of references to the Inklings (including the title of the episode).  The series is about a police detective in Oxford.  The episode is full of amazingly snide digs at the Inklings and anyone who likes reading the Inklings.  The episode was first shown in the U.K. on March 22, 2009.  I'm surprised that I've never heard anyone mention it.

        Wendell Wagner

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
          Yup. "Lewis" is the followup to the "Inspector Morse" series; I did happen to see this episode online and it was a typically convoluted murder mystery PLUS mostly inaccurate references to the Inklings, specifically CSL and JRRT.

          -- Lynn --

          > Has anyone else seen the episode called "The Allegory of Love" of the
          > program called Lewis? (That's the British title of the series. In the U.S.
          > it's called Inspector Lewis to emphasize the fact that it's a sequel to the
          > series Inspector Morse.) I watched some of this episode last night. I
          > bring this up not because the series is very good, since it isn't, nor because
          > the episode is very good, since it's pretty poor. I mention this because
          > this episode has a lot of references to the Inklings (including the title of
          > the episode). The series is about a police detective in Oxford. The
          > episode is full of amazingly snide digs at the Inklings and anyone who likes
          > reading the Inklings. The episode was first shown in the U.K. on March 22,
          > 2009. I'm surprised that I've never heard anyone mention it.
          >
          > Wendell Wagner

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
            Weird: I posted this earlier but it "disappeared"!

            Wendell, it was mentioned last fall & had several comments - starts with message #20870

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
              I note that in that thread you call the program "delightful" because Oxford is always delightful.  I supposed I'm spoiled, since over the past 23 years I've had a chance to spend a total amount of time in Oxford that adds up to about three months, but if I wanted to appreciate Oxford again, I'd go there.  I just found the program annoying.  It was a deliberate set-up to make anyone who liked the Inklings look like a dork and anyone who criticized the Inklings look hip.

              Wendell Wagner

              In a message dated 7/24/2010 7:29:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lynnmaudlin@... writes:

              Weird: I posted this earlier but it "disappeared"!

              Wendell, it was mentioned last fall & had several comments - starts with message #20870

              -- Lynn --

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

              > Yup. "Lewis" is the followup to the "Inspector Morse" series; I did happen to see this episode online and it was a typically convoluted murder mystery PLUS mostly inaccurate references to the Inklings, specifically CSL and JRRT.
              >
              > -- Lynn --
              >
              > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Has anyone else seen the episode called "The Allegory of Love" of the
              > > program called Lewis? (That's the British title of the series. In the U.S.
              > > it's called Inspector Lewis to emphasize the fact that it's a sequel to the
              > > series Inspector Morse.) I watched some of this episode last night. I
              > > bring this up not because the series is very good, since it isn't, nor because
              > > the episode is very good, since it's pretty poor. I mention this because
              > > this episode has a lot of references to the Inklings (including the title of
              > > the episode). The series is about a police detective in Oxford. The
              > > episode is full of amazingly snide digs at the Inklings and anyone who likes
              > > reading the Inklings. The episode was first shown in the U.K. on March 22,
              > > 2009. I'm surprised that I've never heard anyone mention it.
              > >
              > > Wendell Wagner

            • lynnmaudlin
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25, 2010
                I take that almost as a given, re: TV & film - any Christians are buffoons or secretly evil or perverts or *at least hypocrites* and anyone who admires them is a fool. Eh, so much for the wisdom of the world.

                Maybe I've just got a bigger capacity to ignore the annoying stuff and enjoy the aspects that resonate with what I value...? I guess I'd rather enjoy what's there to enjoy instead of being overly bugged by the garbage.

                -- Lynn --

                > I note that in that thread you call the program "delightful" because Oxford
                > is always delightful. I supposed I'm spoiled, since over the past 23
                > years I've had a chance to spend a total amount of time in Oxford that adds up
                > to about three months, but if I wanted to appreciate Oxford again, I'd go
                > there. I just found the program annoying. It was a deliberate set-up to
                > make anyone who liked the Inklings look like a dork and anyone who
                > criticized the Inklings look hip.
                >
                > Wendell Wagner
                >

                > In a message dated 7/24/2010 7:29:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > lynnmaudlin@... writes:
                >

                > Weird: I posted this earlier but it "disappeared"!
                >
                > Wendell, it was mentioned last fall & had several comments - starts with
                > message #20870
                >
                > -- Lynn --
                >
                > --- In _mythsoc@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com) ,
                > "lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Yup. "Lewis" is the followup to the "Inspector Morse" series; I did
                > happen to see this episode online and it was a typically convoluted murder
                > mystery PLUS mostly inaccurate references to the Inklings, specifically CSL and
                > JRRT.
                > >
                > > -- Lynn --
                > >
                > > --- In _mythsoc@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com) ,
                > WendellWag@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Has anyone else seen the episode called "The Allegory of Love" of the
                > > > program called Lewis? (That's the British title of the series. In the
                > U.S.
                > > > it's called Inspector Lewis to emphasize the fact that it's a sequel
                > to the
                > > > series Inspector Morse.) I watched some of this episode last night. I
                > > > bring this up not because the series is very good, since it isn't, nor
                > because
                > > > the episode is very good, since it's pretty poor. I mention this
                > because
                > > > this episode has a lot of references to the Inklings (including the
                > title of
                > > > the episode). The series is about a police detective in Oxford. The
                > > > episode is full of amazingly snide digs at the Inklings and anyone who
                > likes
                > > > reading the Inklings. The episode was first shown in the U.K. on March
                > 22,
                > > > 2009. I'm surprised that I've never heard anyone mention it.
                > > >
                > > > Wendell Wagner

              • Sue Bridgwater
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
                  Sorry you dislike Lewis, which I enjoy very much - I also loved the episode, surely the point was that the protagonist who saw himself as starting a New Inklings group had no idea what he was on about?  (Neither did Lewis, but that's true to the character).  I felt it was a good sign that the makers thought the Tolkien/CSLewis axis to be familiar enough to most people to form a strong part of an episode of a popular programme - and a nice pun on the two Lewises.  Ah well, we can't all like everything!

                  from Sue

                • lynnmaudlin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
                    I don't know that I'd concur with the "neither did (CS) Lewis" about knowing what he was doing w/the Inklings. I think it unlikely that he realized he & JRRT were starting a writers group which would meet for the next (18? something like that!) years - but I *do* think he had a clue what he was doing; at least Glyer's THE COMPANY THEY KEEP would indicate some degree of awareness. YMMV.

                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Sue Bridgwater <suebridgwater@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry you dislike Lewis, which I enjoy very much - I also loved the episode, surely the point was that the protagonist who saw himself as starting a New Inklings group had no idea what he was on about?  (Neither did Lewis, but that's true to the character).  I felt it was a good sign that the makers thought the Tolkien/CSLewis axis to be familiar enough to most people to form a strong part of an episode of a popular programme - and a nice pun on the two Lewises.  Ah well, we can't all like everything!
                    >
                    > from Sue

                  • Sue Bridgwater
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                      Lynn, I have confused you - I meant Inspector Lewis knew nothing about it, any more than the character who saw himself as starting an emulatory group!  Sorry, I'm used to referring to him as Lewis, apres Morse. I call the Narnia man CSL.

                      from Sue

                    • lynnmaudlin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 6, 2010
                        Yup, misunderstood you completely but understandably, considering the multiple Lewises involved!