Fwd: the tree that owns itself

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2000
      A friend on another List posted the following story about a tree in Athens,
      Georgia, and I thought how much Tolkien would have loved it, sought and
      obtained his permission to post it here:
      I am reaching back many years in memory so the details have escaped me, but
      here goes: Many decades ago, the tree, a very stately oak, was in the front
      yard of a large home and prized by the owner, who was concerned about what
      his heirs would do to the property after his passing. He therefore created
      a perpetual trust to own and care for the tree and the small plot of land
      upon which it grows. Sure enough, over the years following the area around
      the tree was developed and subdivided. Due to the foresight of the former
      owner, however, the tree was left untouched. It still stands today, on its
      own roped off plot of land, proudly independent of bipedal indenture, but
      frequently visited by those who know where to look. I believe that a small
      riot would erupt if anyone today tried to harm a limb on this local
      monument.

      Mary S