Re: [mythsoc] Mention of Tolkien in The New Yorker

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
      My apologies for writing something that seemed to imply that I thought that he had only published one article.  I meant that I Googled on his name and the word "Tolkien" and found quickly that he had published at least one article.  I didn't read the results any further because that showed that he was indeed a Tolkien scholar.  I had wondered if Franzen was simply saying that he was a random Tolkien fan.  I have mentioned this because I thought it was kind of interesting that an article in The New Yorker would mention, although it was irrelevant to the rest of the article, that someone was a Tolkien scholar.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 7/22/2010 10:02:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, visualweasel@... writes:
      in spite of the poor showing you got from Google
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
        WendellWag@... wrote:

        >I thought it was kind of interesting
        >that an article in The New Yorker
        would mention, although it was
        >irrelevant to the rest of the article,
        >that someone was a Tolkien scholar.

        It is indeed interesting - and I have come across this gentleman's work a couple times and knew his name - but mentioning things that are completely irrelevant to the rest of the article is the very heart and soul, the calling card, of The New Yorker.
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
          Yes, of all the strange and unexpected references!

          It is indeed interesting - and I have come across this gentleman's work a couple times and knew his name - but mentioning things that are completely irrelevant to the rest of the article is the very heart and soul, the calling card, of The New Yorker.

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
            But you didn't, Wendell:
            "On Googling I find that Spirito has had at least one article in one published book on Tolkien." Key word being "at least" - no, I took it simply as a query which brought forth some helpful answers. And I agree, interesting that the observation should have even been made.

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
              hmmm, could be - that may be why I enjoy The New Yorker, that random quality! AND the cartoons!!!

              -- Lynn --

              > WendellWag@... wrote:
              >
              > >I thought it was kind of interesting
              > >that an article in The New Yorker
              > would mention, although it was
              > >irrelevant to the rest of the article,
              > >that someone was a Tolkien scholar.
              >
              > It is indeed interesting - and I have come across this gentleman's work a couple times and knew his name - but mentioning things that are completely irrelevant to the rest of the article is the very heart and soul, the calling card, of The New Yorker.

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
                Lynn,
                Uh, yeah.

                The journalistic/ poetic / bio / fiction ink is good, but the 'toons get the first flutter every week.

                Three weeks worth here now. Jo gets first tickle as I go off to FK of Fish in an hour.

                M'ringo

                Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:55 PM
                Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Mention of Tolkien in The New Yorker

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5303 (20100722) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5303 (20100722) __________

                http://www.eset.com
              • Sue Bridgwater
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
                  I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Exeter College conference in 2006 - his talk is reproduced (in English, as he delivered it) under the title The influence of holiness, in Caldecott and Honegger, Tolkien's the Lord of the rings; sources of inspiration, Walking Tree, 2008, ISBN 9783905703122  (You can also see him in the group photograph frontispiece, but I'm not saying which one is me!)

                  from Sue