Mention of Tolkien in The New Yorker

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22 5:38 AM
      In the current issue of The New Yorker (July 26, 2010), there's an article by Jonathan Franzen about the overhunting of songbirds in the Mediterranean.  Just in passing he mentions (on page 61) that someone who has some vague connection to this matter, Father Guglielmo Spirito, is a "passionate amateur Tolkien scholar."  On Googling I find that Spirito has had at least one article in one published book on Tolkien.  Does anyone know more about him?

      Wendell Wagner
    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 22 6:10 AM
        Yes, Father G. Spirito attended the German Tolkien Society conference in April (last line on google's first page), and gave a paper at the conference I organised two years ago (second line in google's results), "Tolkien aujourd'hui" (Tolkien today) near Paris - proceedings forthcoming. He is well known in Europe.

        best,
        vincent

        Vincent Ferré

        Université Paris XIII
        Département Littérature - directeur
        Littérature générale et comparée
        http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

        Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:38 PM
        Subject: [mythsoc] Mention of Tolkien in The New Yorker

        In the current issue of The New Yorker (July 26, 2010), there's an article by Jonathan Franzen about the overhunting of songbirds in the Mediterranean.  Just in passing he mentions (on page 61) that someone who has some vague connection to this matter, Father Guglielmo Spirito, is a "passionate amateur Tolkien scholar."  On Googling I find that Spirito has had at least one article in one published book on Tolkien.  Does anyone know more about him?

        Wendell Wagner

        __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 5296 (20100720) __________

        Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

        http://www.eset.com
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 22 7:02 AM
          I haven't met him in person, but I've corresponded with him, and he's a very nice man. Very knowledgeable, and (in spite of the poor showing you got from Google), very productive on the other side of the Atlantic, particularly on the more "Radagastian" aspects of Tolkien. He's also a Franciscan Friar, and Dean at the Istituto Teologico di Assisi, so some of his work on Tolkien is theological in nature. He is a regular speaker at European conferences (e.g., DTG conference in Germany, the Hobbiton conference in Italy, etc.).

          A little bit more of his bibliography, in case you're curious:

          "Sotto il tuo patrocinio: Tolkien e Nostra Signora." San Francesco #5. Assisi: 1995.
          "Galadriel tra mito, letteratura e realtà." Minas Tirith #3 (1997): 47-69.
          "Il fascino di Tom Bombadil." Minas Tirith #4 (1997): 58-76.
          "Faramir e Eowyn: la relazione come guarigione." Minas Tirith #5 (1998): 47-76.
          "La Nostalgia di Legolas." Minas Tirith #7 (2000): 19-60.
          "Pipino: la gioia come custode della crescita." Minas Tirith #12 (2004): 37-56.
          "Foglie di Athelas 1." Minas Tirith #13 (2005).
          "Foglie di Athelas 2." Minas Tirith #14 (2005).
          "Figure di paternità nel Signore degli Anelli." Minas Tirith #17 (2006): 47-56.
          "Il viaggio di Tolkien ad Assisi (1955): Luoghi e Significati." Lo Specchio di Galadriel. Basaldella: Società Tolkieniana Italiana, 2006. 7-24.
          "Il lupo malvagio: un mito rivisitato." Convivium Assisiense VIII (2006): 61-86.
          "Il mito del lupo in J.R.R. Tolkien." Minas Tirith 18 (2007): 77-90.
          "The Influence of Holiness: The Healing Power of Tolkien's Narrative." Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: Sources of Inspiration. Eds. Stratford Caldecott and Thomas Honegger. Walking Tree: 2008.
          "Speaking With Animals: A Desire that Lies Near the Heart of Faërie ." Tolkien's Shorter Works. Eds. Margaret Hiley & Frank Weinreich. Walking Tree: 2008.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 22 8:00 AM
            My apologies for writing something that seemed to imply that I thought that he had only published one article.  I meant that I Googled on his name and the word "Tolkien" and found quickly that he had published at least one article.  I didn't read the results any further because that showed that he was indeed a Tolkien scholar.  I had wondered if Franzen was simply saying that he was a random Tolkien fan.  I have mentioned this because I thought it was kind of interesting that an article in The New Yorker would mention, although it was irrelevant to the rest of the article, that someone was a Tolkien scholar.

            Wendell Wagner

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 22 8:07 AM
              WendellWag@... wrote:

              >I thought it was kind of interesting
              >that an article in The New Yorker
              would mention, although it was
              >irrelevant to the rest of the article,
              >that someone was a Tolkien scholar.

              It is indeed interesting - and I have come across this gentleman's work a couple times and knew his name - but mentioning things that are completely irrelevant to the rest of the article is the very heart and soul, the calling card, of The New Yorker.
            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 22 8:32 AM
                Yes, of all the strange and unexpected references!

                It is indeed interesting - and I have come across this gentleman's work a couple times and knew his name - but mentioning things that are completely irrelevant to the rest of the article is the very heart and soul, the calling card, of The New Yorker.

              • lynnmaudlin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 22 2:54 PM
                  But you didn't, Wendell:
                  "On Googling I find that Spirito has had at least one article in one published book on Tolkien." Key word being "at least" - no, I took it simply as a query which brought forth some helpful answers. And I agree, interesting that the observation should have even been made.

                  -- Lynn --

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 22 2:55 PM
                    hmmm, could be - that may be why I enjoy The New Yorker, that random quality! AND the cartoons!!!

                    -- Lynn --

                    > WendellWag@... wrote:
                    >
                    > >I thought it was kind of interesting
                    > >that an article in The New Yorker
                    > would mention, although it was
                    > >irrelevant to the rest of the article,
                    > >that someone was a Tolkien scholar.
                    >
                    > It is indeed interesting - and I have come across this gentleman's work a couple times and knew his name - but mentioning things that are completely irrelevant to the rest of the article is the very heart and soul, the calling card, of The New Yorker.

                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 22 3:40 PM
                      Lynn,
                      Uh, yeah.

                      The journalistic/ poetic / bio / fiction ink is good, but the 'toons get the first flutter every week.

                      Three weeks worth here now. Jo gets first tickle as I go off to FK of Fish in an hour.

                      M'ringo

                      Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:55 PM
                      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Mention of Tolkien in The New Yorker

                      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5303 (20100722) __________

                      http://www.eset.com

                      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5303 (20100722) __________

                      http://www.eset.com
                    • Sue Bridgwater
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 29 8:27 AM
                        I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Exeter College conference in 2006 - his talk is reproduced (in English, as he delivered it) under the title The influence of holiness, in Caldecott and Honegger, Tolkien's the Lord of the rings; sources of inspiration, Walking Tree, 2008, ISBN 9783905703122  (You can also see him in the group photograph frontispiece, but I'm not saying which one is me!)

                        from Sue