Tolkien geek reviews the One Man Lord of the Rings

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2010
      In this review in The Washington City Paper, T. J. Dawe notes that Charles Ross mentioned while performing his One Man Lord of the Rings that some of the critics reviewing the performance didn't know enough about Tolkien:

      Dawe then demonstrates that he is a Tolkien geek, so that certainly doesn't apply to him.  Later in the review he notes that the performance is really about the films and not the book.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2010
        Wendell Wagner wrote:

        > In this review in The Washington City Paper, T. J. Dawe notes that
        > Charles
        > Ross mentioned while performing his One Man Lord of the Rings that some
        > of
        > the critics reviewing the performance didn't know enough about Tolkien:
        >
        > _http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39432/one-man-lord-of-the-rings
        > -at-woolly-mammoth-theatre_
        > (http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39432/one-man-lord-of-the-rings-at-woolly-mammoth-theatre)
        >
        > Dawe then demonstrates that he is a Tolkien geek, so that certainly
        > doesn't
        > apply to him.

        Well, he's certainly demonstrated his credentials. And if he wants to play
        Tolkien trivia master, I counted six minor Tolkien errors in his article. I
        am not going to bore you with them.

        > Later in the review he notes that the performance is really
        > about the films and not the book.

        What appears to have happened, from Dawe's description, is what I called
        "media colonization" in my _Tolkien on Film_ article. That is, Ross thinks
        he's responding to the book, but he takes all his interpretive choices from
        the movies, possibly without even entirely realizing it.