Missing Notebook

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17 11:44 PM
      A quick question for all the folks who attended last weekend's Mythcon in Dallas:

      Did anyone pick up a red hardcover blank book, mostly filled with illegible handwriting, with 'There And Back Again' stamped on the cover? This was the notebook in which I've kept notes on all the talks and Tolkien-related events I've attended in the last few years (since Marquette in 2004, I think). I didn't suspect it was missing until last night, when we finally got back from Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas and realized neither of us had it in our carryon bags, but I cdn't confirm its absence until my checked bag finally caught up with us this afternoon. I've called the hotel and they're going to check their lost & found, in case I left it in our room, but if I instead forgot it and left it on or under a seat in the audience after a panel or paper I thought someone might have picked it up and not known how to find the owner. The last event I'm pretty sure I must have had it at was Mike Foster's talk in Windsor 4, ending at five o'clock on Sunday. It's just barely possible I left it on a table under the stairs near the grand piano. I hope I didn't leave it at the Society auction table!

      In any case, if anyone has this or remembers seeing it, please let me know. I'd really like to get it back.

      --John R.
    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19 9:29 PM
        Just a quick note to say that the notebook's now been found by the hotel staff and will soon be on its way back to me. Sorry to have bothered the list; thanks for the offline expressions of sympathy.
        --John R.
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20 4:43 AM
          John,
          We rejoice with you.  Over our hiatus in the South, which ended yesterday, I could receive E-mails but not send--a fate not like Hurin's:

                      Scholars have long noted the resemblance of Turin ’s life and times to those of Kullervo in the Finnish epic poem Kalevala.  Bleak and cold as the mountainous wastes of Scandinavia , Tolkien’s tale is true to that inspiration.  The great villain Morgoth, one of The Silmarillion’s godlike Valar gone bad, is in control here.  Perhaps the cruelest of his many cruelties is enchanting the captive Hurin on a stone throne where he powerlessly witnesses all the many mishaps that befall his wife Morwen, his two doomed daughters, and his star-crossed son.   Morgoth tells Hurin: “But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair.  Wherever they go, evil shall arise.  Whenever they speak, their words shall bring ill counsel.  Whatever they do shall turn against them.  They shall die without hope, cursing both life and death.”

                      Unlike G.K. Chesterton’s gentlemanly Devil, Morgoth keeps his word.

          Thus I could not educate you, as I did Joe R. & Lynn Christopher, in the Catholic and esp. Franciscan belief in St. Anthony of Padua's efficacy in finding lost stuff.  But I did say the prayer--"Tony, Tony, come around / Something's lost that must be found"--on your behalf.  It worked at least twice during Mythcon for me after I mislaid my walking stick.

          And coming back to Metamora yesterday on a tornadic detour through southern Illinois towns like Ina and Pana, I heard a clatter in the glasses case in La Buick and it turned out to be my two main pens, New Blue, the fountain, and Hiyo Silver, the Sheaffer ball point.  Both beloved hand tools had gone missing after our day up at Wheaton in the Wade with Chris Mitchell and Adam and Pam Schwartz on 28.6; yesterday, there they were.  Thanks, St. Tony.

          But Tony is Italian and he likes his respect in candles lit in the Lourdes grotto.  We will light one for you, and I presume this recovered book is worth a big $3 long-burning baby vs, the 50-cent votive lind.  Do you prefer red or dark blue stained glass on that candle, sir?

          Good news.

          Cheers,
          Mike

          Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 11:29 PM
          Subject: [mythsoc] Alll's Well that . . .

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5294 (20100720) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5294 (20100720) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20 5:45 PM
            I am soooo pleased!

            -- Lynn --

            > Just a quick note to say that the notebook's now been found by the hotel staff and will soon be on its way back to me. Sorry to have bothered the list; thanks for the offline expressions of sympathy.
            > --John R.

          • lynnmaudlin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20 5:52 PM
              Happily neither the devil nor Morgoth have the final word. *Whew!*

              -- Lynn --