Re: If Mythcon had been *this* weekend ...

  • pegasus48124
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2010
      On the other hand, I wish to plan my trip to Albuquerque next year early, so I can meet up with some friends and plan some hiking afterwards. Is that date going to change too? It's not easy to switch flights...It will be just as hot or hotter there next July.
      Mike

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      > I didn't *need* to go outside the hotel but I did sometimes, accompanying Serena when she would have a smoke...
      >
      > And, had y'all not moved to Crowne Plaza Suites, we would've been hiking across campus in not very nice weather, either weekend - eeep!
      >
      > -- Lynn --
      >

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean56@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Not that I ever needed to set foot outside the hotel until it was time to
      > > get on the airport shuttle, mind you... :)
      > >
      > > On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@>wrote:
      > >

      > > > Most of you probably know that we originally scheduled Mythcon for this
      > > > weekend, starting today. Had these remained the dates, you could have looked
      > > > forward to forecast high temperatures of 101, 102, 104, and 100, with heat
      > > > index values in the neighborhood 109-112 degrees. Yikes! So even though it
      > > > was muggy last weekend, the thunderstorms kept the temps down in the 88-92
      > > > range. Something to be thankful for. :)
      > > >
      > > > Jase

    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2010
        Well, the reason for the date change THIS year (2010, Mythcon 41) was that the original bid had us at SMU but SMU wouldn't confirm the dates until late in the fall. We also discovered (late) that SMU required that Mythcon have a campus sponsor and while we could have *conceivably* stayed with the original dates (there were some other negative issues that had come up around the first "to be confirmed" dates), in order to work effectively with the campus sponsor we needed to change the date.

        It was some months later, still waiting for a contract from SMU and having some additional weirdness go on w/them, that Randy started looking at hotel options. Frankly, I couldn't be more delighted with Crowne Plaza Suites - they were terrific and worked very hard to come up with a package that was comparable to what room & board would have been at SMU.

        BUT I believe the dates for Mythcon 42 are firm, per chair Leslie Donovan.

        -- Lynn --