Re: 2010 Mythopoeic Award Winners Announced

  • camontes_dragon2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2010
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Linda DeMars <linda@...> wrote:
      (The only one we could not find was the theological
      > question of BALROGS AND THEIR WINGS - I had the idea that there might be a
      > relation between Tolkien's studies in Dante and the above question).

      I am interested in parallelisms between Tolkien and Dante. Could anyone in this list recommend good materials on this?
    • not_thou
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2010
        --- "camontes_dragon2001" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:
        > I am interested in parallelisms between Tolkien and Dante. Could anyone in this list recommend good materials on this?

        Some similarities between Dante and Tolkien were made in these three discussions from 2006 at TheOneRing.net:

        http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/448612BC00024F53.html

        http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/44862E8000024F57.html

        http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/4486309E00024F58.html

        The second of those discussions includes a list of many (most?) of the infrequent comparisons scholars have made between their works.

        Jason Fisher suggests a further point of comparison here:

        http://users.bestweb.net/~jfgm/EncyclopediaDiary/DiaryPagesAlphabetic/D%20Articles%20Text.htm#Dante_%c2%96_Merlin_DeTardo_

        There's a fair bit about Tolkien's ten-year membership in the Oxford Dante Society in Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_, mostly in the _Reader's Guide_ entry on "Societies and clubs", which includes an excerpt from "A Neck-Verse", the paper Tolkien presented at one of that group's meetings.

        And there are some good ideas in one of the papers given at Mythcon last Friday, Michael Millburn's "Art According to Romantic Theology: Charles Williams' Analysis of Dante Reapplied to J.R.R. Tolkien's 'Leaf by Niggle'". This paper won the Alexei Kondratiev Memorial Student Paper Award.

        -Merlin