2010 Mythopoeic Award Winners Announced

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12 2:15 PM

      The Mythopoeic Society

      PRESS RELEASE: July 11, 2010

      2010 Mythopoeic Award Winners

      Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature

      Jo Walton,

      Lifelode (NESFA Press)

      Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature

      Grace Lin,

      Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (Little, Brown)

      Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies

      Dimitra Fimi,

      Tolkien, Race, and Cultural History: From Fairies to Hobbits (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009)

      Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies

      Marek Oziewicz,

      One Earth, One People: The Mythopoeic Fantasy Series of Ursula K. Le Guin, Lloyd Alexander,

      Madeleine L’Engle and Orson Scott Card

      (McFarland, 2008)

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the fantasy novel, multi-volume, or single-author

      story collection for adults published during 2009 that best exemplifies “the spirit of the Inklings.” Books are

      eligible for two years after publication if not selected as a finalist during the first year of eligibility. Books from a

      series are eligible if they stand on their own; otherwise, the series becomes eligible the year its final volume

      appears. The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature honors books for younger readers (from

      “Young Adults” to picture books for beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of

      Narnia. Rules for eligibility are otherwise the same as for the Adult Literature award. The question of which

      award a borderline book is best suited for will be decided by consensus of the committees.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to books on Tolkien, Lewis, and/or Williams

      that make significant contributions to Inklings scholarship. For this award, books first published during the last

      three years (2007–2009) are eligible, including finalists for previous years. The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in

      Myth and Fantasy Studies is given to scholarly books on other specific authors in the Inklings tradition, or to

      more general works on the genres of myth and fantasy. The period of eligibility is three years, as for the Inklings

      Studies award.

      The winners of this year’s awards were announced at Mythcon XLI in Dallas, Texas, on July 11, 2010. A

      complete list of Mythopoeic Award winners is available on the Society web site:

      http://www.mythsoc.org/awards.html

      The finalists for the literature awards, text of recent acceptance speeches, and selected book reviews are also

      listed in this on-line section. For more information about the

      Mythopoeic Awards, please contact the Awards

      Administrator:

      David D. Oberhelman

      306 Edmon Low Library

      Oklahoma State University Library

      Stillwater, OK 74078

      awards@...

    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12 3:12 PM
        Congratulations to all of the winners, and particularly to Dimitra Fimi for a very well-deserved Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies.

        Doug

        Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 2:15 PM
        Subject: [mythsoc] 2010 Mythopoeic Award Winners Announced

        The Mythopoeic Society

        PRESS RELEASE: July 11, 2010

[...]

        awards@mythsoc. org

      • Linda DeMars
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12 7:05 PM
          Let me add my voice to Doug's in congratulating  all our winners and especially Dr Fimi.  I took a wonderful  online course from  the Cardiff Centre on Lifelong Learning in '07 and she was the teacher. I learned so much (a Tolkien course, did I say?) and I was able to write an essay and end up with a very respectable mark, thanks to her kindness in suggesting extra sources for me when I was a bit puzzled as to where to get the proofs I was sure were correct (The only one we could not find was the theological question of BALROGS AND THEIR WINGS - I had the idea that there might be a relation between Tolkien's studies in Dante and the above question).  The material presented to the class was both scholarly and fascinating.

          How I wish I could be in Dallas this week with all,  but I have to teach summer camp for the next 2 weeks (children's art and art history) which would provide the income but not the time.

          I do recommend Dr. Fimi's class to all and am so happy for her.

          Linda DeMars

          Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 2:15 PM

          The Mythopoeic Society

          PRESS RELEASE: July 11, 2010

[...]

        • camontes_dragon2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14 7:19 PM
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Linda DeMars <linda@...> wrote:
            (The only one we could not find was the theological
            > question of BALROGS AND THEIR WINGS - I had the idea that there might be a
            > relation between Tolkien's studies in Dante and the above question).

            I am interested in parallelisms between Tolkien and Dante. Could anyone in this list recommend good materials on this?
          • not_thou
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 14 8:46 PM
              --- "camontes_dragon2001" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:
              > I am interested in parallelisms between Tolkien and Dante. Could anyone in this list recommend good materials on this?

              Some similarities between Dante and Tolkien were made in these three discussions from 2006 at TheOneRing.net:

              http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/448612BC00024F53.html

              http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/44862E8000024F57.html

              http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/4486309E00024F58.html

              The second of those discussions includes a list of many (most?) of the infrequent comparisons scholars have made between their works.

              Jason Fisher suggests a further point of comparison here:

              http://users.bestweb.net/~jfgm/EncyclopediaDiary/DiaryPagesAlphabetic/D%20Articles%20Text.htm#Dante_%c2%96_Merlin_DeTardo_

              There's a fair bit about Tolkien's ten-year membership in the Oxford Dante Society in Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_, mostly in the _Reader's Guide_ entry on "Societies and clubs", which includes an excerpt from "A Neck-Verse", the paper Tolkien presented at one of that group's meetings.

              And there are some good ideas in one of the papers given at Mythcon last Friday, Michael Millburn's "Art According to Romantic Theology: Charles Williams' Analysis of Dante Reapplied to J.R.R. Tolkien's 'Leaf by Niggle'". This paper won the Alexei Kondratiev Memorial Student Paper Award.

              -Merlin