Re: [mythsoc] One More Step

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2010
      No, this line is movie-only dialogue.
         The closest the book comes is where Sam mentions a place they can stop for the night, and the narrator notes that his knowledge of the surrounding countryside was exact up until a certain distance, after which his knowledge failed. Sorry I don't have a copy of the book with me to give an exact reference.
         --John R.

      On Jul 9, 2010, at 6:05 PM, SusanPal@... wrote:
      In Jackson's FotR, Sam says at one point, "If I take one more step, I'll be further from home than I've ever been."  Does this line occur in the book?  I thought it did, but now I can't find it!

      Thanks,
      Susan

    • Troels Forchhammer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2010
        It's in 'Three is Company'

        "Sam knew the land well within twenty miles of Hobbiton, but that was the limit of his geography."

        It's on p 94 of my 50th anniversary HarperCollins Paperback (2005), and on p. 81 of my Houghton Mifflin 1987 hardcover. Finally it's the page referenced as "71 (I: 80)" in Hammond and Scull's _Reader's Guide_

        There is also a reference later that Sam is the only one not to have crossed the Brandywine - the eighth paragraph of "A Conspiracy Unmasked": "Sam was the only member of the party who had not been over the river before."

        /Troels

        --
           Love while you've got
               love to give.