Re: [mythsoc] Re: Potter publisher promotion

  • Sophie Masson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2000
      People have told me re Robin Hobb that the name made a difference--Random
      House people here have told me that because it was androgynous, and also
      carried quasi-mythical echoes(Robin Hood, of course!) somehow it stuck in
      people's subsconscious. But I think myself as a writer and reader that names
      don't make _that_ much difference--people may buy the first one based on
      that: but if it's rubbish, no glamorous name in the world is going to
      persuade people to part with their hard-earned dosh again. I think that
      there is a version of the 'every dog has its day' proverb for
      writers--somehow, some mysterious alchemy seems to click n: sometimes at the
      beginning of a person's career, or much further down the track. I think of
      people like James Lee Burke and Martin Cruz Smith--who both wryly commented
      that their 'overnight success' actually took them twenty years to achieve!
      Sophie
      Author site:
      http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm