Author names

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2000
      >I just started reading a Robin Hobb book, Ship of Magic. I'm
      >curious, has anyone else read her before and if so, what are your
      >feelings. She's from the Seattle area and I know she never was
      >popular in the 80's when she wrote under the Megan Lindholm name.
      >Ever since she changed her pen name to Robin Hobb her books have sold
      >like crazy. She's coming to town in a few weeks, so I decided to
      >give her a try. Any thoughts? Did she re-invent herself, do you
      >think the name made a difference, or was it just the early 90's when
      >a lot of the current big selling names first came out with books?

      This is a phenomenon which continues to bewilder me. Same author, different
      name, different results? Yet bookstores will insist to publishers that
      books by J. Doe aren't meeting expectations, and publishers will say to
      authors that the name must be changed. One of my writing group members is
      on her second pseudonym (and sold well under each).

      I've resolved to try to keep my birth name on my books if at all possible
      (though I guess I can't rule out a pseudonym in the future).

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists