Re: [mythsoc] Passing of a Mythie....

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2010
      Good grief. It seems that whenever I go offline for a few days something momentous happens. Where the Society is concerned, this is about as momentous as it gets. Alexei was such a unique, lovely, charming man. His knowledge was prodigious but he was unfailingly modest and matter-of-fact about it. His fascinating background, travels and immersion in many languages gave him one of the most singularly beautiful voices/accents it has ever been my pleasure to hear. How profoundly sad to realize I'll never hear it again. Alexei, may the Summer Country be everything you've read about it.
      --
      Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
      The Mythopoeic Society

      On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:43 AM, herenistarion <herenistarion@...> wrote:

      As we know everyone here at MythSoc was his friend and colleague, we want to let you know that we just found out Alexei Kondratiev passed away last night. ...

      In Fellowship
      Anthony & Jessie

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
        Bonnie Callahan just posted on Facebook:

        "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

        If anyone wishes to respond to this post I'm the contact person.

        Thank you, BG Callahan"

        This is terrible news. How sad!
      • herenistarion
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
          Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

          Anthony and Jessica

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

          > Bonnie Callahan just posted on Facebook:
          >
          > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.
          >
          > If anyone wishes to respond to this post I'm the contact person.
          >
          > Thank you, BG Callahan"
          >
          > This is terrible news. How sad!

        • Doug Kane
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 6, 2010
            I am sorry to hear of this.  I too am glad that I at least had a brief opportunity to meet Glen and chat with him during the 2009 Mythcon, particularly at the banquet.  He has done so much for our community.

            Rest in peace!

            Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 10:53 PM
            Subject: [mythsoc] Re: In memoriam Glen GoodKnight

            Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

            Anthony and Jessica

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

            > Bonnie Callahan just
            posted on Facebook:

            > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society
            members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

            > If anyone wishes to
            respond to this post I'm the contact person.

            > Thank you, BG
            Callahan"

            > This is terrible news. How
            sad!

            No virus found in this message.

          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 6, 2010
              I never got to meet Glen in person, but we corresponded via email. He expressed regret to me that he could not come to Mythcon this past summer, and I am especially sorry for that now. This is a terrible loss. I would like to dedicate the next issue of Mythprint to Glen. If anyone would like to share personal stories or reminiscences in Mythprint, please send them to me directly or share them here (with a note that you don't mind my printing them). Thanks.

              Jason

              Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 10:53 PM

              Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

              Anthony and Jessica

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

              > Bonnie Callahan just
              posted on Facebook:

              > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society
              members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

              > If anyone wishes to
              respond to this post I'm the contact person.

              > Thank you, BG
              Callahan"

              > This is terrible news. How
              sad!

              No virus found in this message.

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 6, 2010
                I will do so, Jason.  We first met at Mythcon-Tolkien Society combined event in 1987 at Marquette.  Seated next to him, Jo said, “Is this your first Mythcon?” (as it was for us).  He explained patiently.

                We are glad we reconnected at Berkeley and UCLA.

                Mike

                Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:57 AM

                Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 10:53 PM

                Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

                Anthony and Jessica

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                > Bonnie Callahan just
                posted on Facebook:

                > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society
                members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

                > If anyone wishes to
                respond to this post I'm the contact person.

                > Thank you, BG
                Callahan"

                > This is terrible news. How
                sad!

                No virus found in this message.

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5596 (20101106) __________

                http://www.eset.com
              • Edith Crowe

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 7, 2010
                    heh! I never heard that story, Mike - very funny!! I'm glad he didn't take umbrage.

                    It's a big loss but also a wonderful opportunity to consider the great things he brought about in the world - the very fact that we're interacting on this mythsoc Yahoo! group is thanks to Glen--

                    -- Lynn --

                    > I will do so, Jason. We first met at Mythcon-Tolkien Society combined event in 1987 at Marquette. Seated next to him, Jo said, “Is this your first Mythcon?” (as it was for us). He explained patiently.
                    >
                    > We are glad we reconnected at Berkeley and UCLA.
                    >
                    > Mike

                  • lynnmaudlin
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 13, 2010
                      Los Angeles Times obituaary: