Remembering Alexei...

  • herenistarion
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2010
      Fellow Mythies,
      Since we posted the news of the passing of Alexei we have all shared our heartfelt stories of him, which include plans of an obit and Mythcon 41 program page.

      Jessie and I would like to now ask those who cannot attend the funeral, to post here remembrances of Alexei you would like to have read. We will be speaking at his funeral and if you are on the east coast we hope you are able to attend. If you plan to attend please reach out to the family directly if you know them and how to contact them. If you do not have their information I can relay their contact to you.
      If you do not know them please call me at 347 831 6640 if you are planning to attend.

      Again I would like to use this thread for anything you all wish to have read at the funeral. I do not wish to limit words but we would like to read as many as time will allow.

      Humbly yours,
      Anthony
    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2010
        Anthony -- here's my bit (that I'd posted on FB) --

        He had a barrel chest, a hearty laugh, and a resonant voice; an amazing
        depth of knowledge and insight and he was always interested in talking
        with whomever he was around. He's been one of my Mythie friends for over
        20 years - seen once a year at Mythcon, but always looked for. I will miss
        him.

        ****

        And please extend my regards to his family.

        Best, Sarah Beach

        > Fellow Mythies,
        > Since we posted the news of the passing of Alexei we have all shared our
        > heartfelt stories of him, which include plans of an obit and Mythcon 41
        > program page.
        >
        > Jessie and I would like to now ask those who cannot attend the funeral, to
        > post here remembrances of Alexei you would like to have read. We will be
        > speaking at his funeral and if you are on the east coast we hope you are
        > able to attend. If you plan to attend please reach out to the family
        > directly if you know them and how to contact them. If you do not have
        > their information I can relay their contact to you.
        > If you do not know them please call me at 347 831 6640 if you are planning
        > to attend.
        >
        > Again I would like to use this thread for anything you all wish to have
        > read at the funeral. I do not wish to limit words but we would like to
        > read as many as time will allow.
        >
        > Humbly yours,
        > Anthony

      • herenistarion
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2010
          Thank you Sarah, I will incorporate into what I am writing, everyone else please email me or post here what you would like read, if anything at the services
          Anthony

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, scribbler@... wrote:

          > Anthony -- here's my bit (that I'd posted on FB) --
          >
          > He had a barrel chest, a hearty laugh, and a resonant voice; an amazing
          > depth of knowledge and insight and he was always interested in talking
          > with whomever he was around. He's been one of my Mythie friends for over
          > 20 years - seen once a year at Mythcon, but always looked for. I will miss
          > him.
          >
          > ****
          >
          > And please extend my regards to his family.
          >
          > Best, Sarah Beach
          >

          > > Fellow Mythies,
          > > Since we posted the news of the passing of Alexei we have all shared our
          > > heartfelt stories of him, which include plans of an obit and Mythcon 41
          > > program page.
          > >
          > > Jessie and I would like to now ask those who cannot attend the funeral, to
          > > post here remembrances of Alexei you would like to have read. We will be
          > > speaking at his funeral and if you are on the east coast we hope you are
          > > able to attend. If you plan to attend please reach out to the family
          > > directly if you know them and how to contact them. If you do not have
          > > their information I can relay their contact to you.
          > > If you do not know them please call me at 347 831 6640 if you are planning
          > > to attend.
          > >
          > > Again I would like to use this thread for anything you all wish to have
          > > read at the funeral. I do not wish to limit words but we would like to
          > > read as many as time will allow.
          > >
          > > Humbly yours,
          > > Anthony

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
            Alexei Kondratiev was a gentle man. He was brilliant and unassuming. He didn't push his greater knowledge down an unwilling throat but, if one was receptive, he was a delightful wealth of information, happily traversing rabbit trails and applying the skill of a Ranger to examining the ground.

            Every year since the early 1980s, I would see Alexei at Mythcon and we'd have amusing and educational (for me, anyway!) exchanges - how much I will miss them! My world is smaller without Alexei.

            I was so touched when he made a point of telling me how much he enjoyed my performance on the piano at Mythcon 39 in Connecticut. "You're very good on the guitar but something very special happens when you play the piano, almost magical--" How I wish I could play for him again.

            blessings, dear friend

            -- Lynn Maudlin --