Re: [mythsoc] Passing of a Mythie....

  • Grace Monk
    Message 1 of 30 , May 28, 2010
      Thank you, Anthony and Jessica, for letting us know. I too have little to say that hasn't been said. Sad news indeed, for many of us and for many reasons...

      grace monk

      On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

      I can think of little to say that hasn't already been said -- except that I regret I'll never get the chance to know him better. From my limited interactions with Alexei, he seemed like a wonderful person, and I see from all the comments that he very much was.

      My condolences to all who knew him well!

      -Alana

      On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

      Very sad news.  I did not know him well, but considered him a friend and very much enjoyed getting to know him at Mythcons.  I recall his beautiful voice singing in a Bardic Circle, and being impressed with how many languages he could sing in.  I always respected what he had to say about books on the MFA award committee, and enjoyed interacting with him via Facebook.  I regret I didn't know him better, as he seemed to be a true Renaissance Man, gifted in so many different ways.  He will be missed and I will definitely raise a glass and a song in his memory.

      Ellen Denham

      herenistarion wrote:

      As we know everyone here at MythSoc was his friend and colleague, we want to let you know that we just found out Alexei Kondratiev passed away last night.

      In Alexei, Jessie and I share a mutual friend, Carole L. Gonzalez, who was his close friend. Carole wrote to us via facebook this morning and told us the news. They suspect a heart attack, but we are not sure at the moment.

      We just saw Alexei last on Thursday May 20th at our book release party. He came early and stayed through til the end, bought a book which we inscribed for him. We spoke of Mythcon 39, where he was papers coordinator as you know, and how the book came to be shortly thereafter--we had a wonderful time chatting with him (as always) & he stayed throughout the live podcast recording. When the hosts of the show asked us how the book came about, we spoke of Mythcon and acknowledged Alexei's role within it, and when they asked us more of MythSoc we addressed Alexei for some insight. That recording is still being edited together, and when it posts we will dedicate it to him.

      We're all saddened by this loss, made even more accute, since he had talked about attending Mythcon this summer, speaking highly of Jason's work coordinating & spoke about how he looked forward to seeing everyone this year. Since we won't be able to join you this year, raise a glass for Alexei. He will be missed.

      In Fellowship
      Anthony & Jessie

    • herenistarion
      Message 2 of 30 , May 28, 2010

        Update from Alexei's family and funeral arrangements:

        Fellow Mythies,
        Jessie and I are very saddened to be writing this, but more so now that we have spoken to his family, his sister Kira and Valeria.
        Alexei lived with his sister Valeria and his Mother. In speaking to them both we informed them of the support Alexei has at MythSoc and how loved and respected he was. I do not know if it is appropiate to post here the circumstances of his passing but you all wish to know we will post them. But it does appear he passed of heart trouble.

        In speaking to Valeria they will want someone to speak at his funeral and they have asked, since we are the first from MythSoc they spoke to, if Jessie and I will speak at his funeral. We are going to reach out to locals to see if they wish to attend and speak as well. Those who are not local and would like a remembrance offered, please email them to us or post them here and they will be read at the funeral.
        If you have any pictures please email them to us, or express mail prints to Jessie and I in time for Tuesday. The family said Alexei didnt like his picture taken much but if we have any to bring them.

        These are the funeral details:

        Tuesday June 2nd
        Wake: 2pm-5pm and 7pm to 10pm
        Martin A. Gleeson Funeral Home
        149-20 Northern Blvd
        Flushing, Queens.
        http://www.gleasonsfuneralhomes.com/content/facilities/flushing.asp

        Burial and Services:
        Weds June 3rd
        10:45 am
        http://www.standrewavellinorcchurch.org/

        We dont know where the cemetery or internment services are yet, but will keep everyone posted.

        Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us via facebook
        http://www.facebook.com/anthony.jessica
        email: herenistarion@...
        Phone: Anthony 347 831 6640

        We know alot of you who knew Alexei far longer and better than we did, but we are doing everything we can to make sure that he is remembered by those who cared of him, because there are alot of us.

        Alexei's sister Nadia posted this on his facebook profile:

        Aliocha, you will be sorely missed. Aliocha read all of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings out loud to us two times at least, as well as the entire Narnia Chronicles and the CS Lewis Perilandra etc books. Need I say more!
        He knew 64 languages, read a book once and was able to quote from it. I hope someone will publish... his fiction work as a collection; he had a great imagination.
        I will add what people seem to know less: Aliocha was a fantastic artist and musician.

        If the Mythopoeic Press would want to do a volume dedicated to Alexei we will inquire of the stories she speaks of. Because we believe MythSoc should be the place for them to appear.

        Anthony and Jessica

      • herenistarion

          Message 4 of 30 , May 28, 2010
            CORRECTION:
            Tuesday June 1st, not 2nd for wake--our mistake and apologies...

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "herenistarion" <herenistarion@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > but we are doing everything we can to make sure that he is remembered by
            > those who cared of him, because there are alot of us.
            >
            > Alexei's sister Nadia posted this on his facebook profile:
            >
            > Aliocha, you will be sorely missed. Aliocha read all of The Hobbit and
            > The Lord of the Rings out loud to us two times at least, as well as the
            > entire Narnia Chronicles and the CS Lewis Perilandra etc books. Need I
            > say more!
            > He knew 64 languages, read a book once and was able to quote from it. I
            > hope someone will publish... his fiction work as a collection; he had a
            > great imagination.
            > I will add what people seem to know less: Aliocha was a fantastic artist
            > and musician.
            >
            > If the Mythopoeic Press would want to do a volume dedicated to Alexei we
            > will inquire of the stories she speaks of. Because we believe MythSoc

          • lynnmaudlin
            Message 5 of 30 , May 28, 2010
              Anthony and Jessica, thank you once again for being people who step up and carry the baton when necessary-- Alexei has been on my mind and in my heart all day. Thank you for sharing our heartfelt condolences with his family.

              {{{hugs}}}
              -- Lynn --

            • Edith Crowe
              Message 6 of 30 , May 29, 2010
                Good grief. It seems that whenever I go offline for a few days something momentous happens. Where the Society is concerned, this is about as momentous as it gets. Alexei was such a unique, lovely, charming man. His knowledge was prodigious but he was unfailingly modest and matter-of-fact about it. His fascinating background, travels and immersion in many languages gave him one of the most singularly beautiful voices/accents it has ever been my pleasure to hear. How profoundly sad to realize I'll never hear it again. Alexei, may the Summer Country be everything you've read about it.
                --
                Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                The Mythopoeic Society

                On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:43 AM, herenistarion <herenistarion@...> wrote:

                As we know everyone here at MythSoc was his friend and colleague, we want to let you know that we just found out Alexei Kondratiev passed away last night. ...

                In Fellowship
                Anthony & Jessie

              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                  Bonnie Callahan just posted on Facebook:

                  "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

                  If anyone wishes to respond to this post I'm the contact person.

                  Thank you, BG Callahan"

                  This is terrible news. How sad!
                • herenistarion
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                    Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

                    Anthony and Jessica

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                    > Bonnie Callahan just posted on Facebook:
                    >
                    > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.
                    >
                    > If anyone wishes to respond to this post I'm the contact person.
                    >
                    > Thank you, BG Callahan"
                    >
                    > This is terrible news. How sad!

                  • Doug Kane
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 6, 2010
                      I am sorry to hear of this.  I too am glad that I at least had a brief opportunity to meet Glen and chat with him during the 2009 Mythcon, particularly at the banquet.  He has done so much for our community.

                      Rest in peace!

                      Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 10:53 PM
                      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: In memoriam Glen GoodKnight

                      Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

                      Anthony and Jessica

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                      > Bonnie Callahan just
                      posted on Facebook:

                      > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society
                      members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

                      > If anyone wishes to
                      respond to this post I'm the contact person.

                      > Thank you, BG
                      Callahan"

                      > This is terrible news. How
                      sad!

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Jason Fisher
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 6, 2010
                        I never got to meet Glen in person, but we corresponded via email. He expressed regret to me that he could not come to Mythcon this past summer, and I am especially sorry for that now. This is a terrible loss. I would like to dedicate the next issue of Mythprint to Glen. If anyone would like to share personal stories or reminiscences in Mythprint, please send them to me directly or share them here (with a note that you don't mind my printing them). Thanks.

                        Jason

                        Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 10:53 PM

                        Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

                        Anthony and Jessica

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                        > Bonnie Callahan just
                        posted on Facebook:

                        > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society
                        members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

                        > If anyone wishes to
                        respond to this post I'm the contact person.

                        > Thank you, BG
                        Callahan"

                        > This is terrible news. How
                        sad!

                        No virus found in this message.

                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 6, 2010
                          I will do so, Jason.  We first met at Mythcon-Tolkien Society combined event in 1987 at Marquette.  Seated next to him, Jo said, “Is this your first Mythcon?” (as it was for us).  He explained patiently.

                          We are glad we reconnected at Berkeley and UCLA.

                          Mike

                          Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:57 AM

                          Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 10:53 PM

                          Thank you Carl for sharing here, just saw Bonnies post as well, and made our own little post. Very sorry and saddened to hear it, very glad we did have a chance to meet with him in 2007 and spend a few moments chatting.

                          Anthony and Jessica

                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                          > Bonnie Callahan just
                          posted on Facebook:

                          > "I regret to inform all Mythopoeic Society
                          members here on Facebook that Glen GoodKnight passed away on Wednesday night. He had been in poor health for a number of years, but was actively participating in many online activities, cataloging his collection for eventual sale/donation, and appeared to be in stable condition.

                          > If anyone wishes to
                          respond to this post I'm the contact person.

                          > Thank you, BG
                          Callahan"

                          > This is terrible news. How
                          sad!

                          No virus found in this message.

                          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5596 (20101106) __________

                          http://www.eset.com
                        • Edith Crowe

                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 7, 2010
                              heh! I never heard that story, Mike - very funny!! I'm glad he didn't take umbrage.

                              It's a big loss but also a wonderful opportunity to consider the great things he brought about in the world - the very fact that we're interacting on this mythsoc Yahoo! group is thanks to Glen--

                              -- Lynn --

                              > I will do so, Jason. We first met at Mythcon-Tolkien Society combined event in 1987 at Marquette. Seated next to him, Jo said, “Is this your first Mythcon?” (as it was for us). He explained patiently.
                              >
                              > We are glad we reconnected at Berkeley and UCLA.
                              >
                              > Mike

                            • lynnmaudlin
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 13, 2010
                                Los Angeles Times obituaary: