"Isildur"?

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2010
      Just noticed this listing on amazon, though the book was published two years ago:

      http://www.amazon.com/Isildur-Brian-K-Crawford/dp/144951278X

      Does the Tolkien Estate receive royalties from sales of this book? Ought they to?

      -Merlin
    • Doug Kane

        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2010
          There is an interview with the author (and the Spanish translator) here:

          He says he began writing as early as 1975, but first published it online in 1998. Near the end he touches on the copyright issue. There is also a review here:

          Diego Seguí

          It appears (according to the copyright page listed in the book) that the book was actually originally published in 1988. That is very surprising to me.  Does anyone else know anything about this?

        • dale nelson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2010
            Whew.  Fan fiction is one thing.  But check out the first few pages at Amazon!

            Dale

            Message 5 of 6 , May 20, 2010
              The publisher, CreateSpace, is Amazon's self-publishing print-on-demand apparatus, so this is clearly fan-fiction. But in this day and age, self-published fan-fiction can reach an international audience. I don't know anything about The Crawford Press (publisher of the 1994 edition). Perhaps it's a vanity press?

              I would guess the Estate knows nothing about this, or they would surely have prevented its publication. I don't see them agreeing to it just for a royalty. Wow. I hate seeing this kind of thing.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 20, 2010
                I now recall that I saw this thing online - I presume it was this; it had something to do with Isildur - some time in the mid-90s. However, it quickly bored me to death and consequently I did not survive to tell, or warn, others about it.