Re: Lewis and Gresham

  • Margaret L. Carter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2010
      <No, it isn't an error. He was married before, and from the info we
      have, he left
      his first wife (whose name I don't have) for Joy with some alacrity in
      1942.

      This is, interestingly, a critical fact in considering the status of
      Jack and
      Joy's marriage. The Church's argument was that it could not marry them
      because
      Joy was a divorced woman. But if that makes their marriage impossible,
      then Bill
      had been a divorced man and therefore his and Joy's marriage was
      impossible,
      which left Joy free to marry Jack.>

      Fascinating -- thanks. If I'd ever read those details, I'd forgotten.
      I'd thought Lewis's main ground for considering the marriage
      dissolvable was Bill's adultery.

      Interesting that Bill Gresham seemed to have a history of infidelity to
      wives.

      Granted, the ecclesiastical laws relating to annulment and the validity
      / invalidity of marriages can seem a bit odd. My only personal contact
      with such a case was that of my husband's brother, who got an annulment
      of his first marriage in the Catholic Church, in order to be allowed to
      remarry in the Church -- although he and his first wife had two
      children.

      Margaret L. Carter
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2010
        "Margaret L. Carter" <mlcvamp@...> wrote:

        >Fascinating -- thanks. If I'd ever read those details, I'd forgotten.
        >I'd thought Lewis's main ground for considering the marriage
        >dissolvable was Bill's adultery.

        Bill gets it in the neck either way. If he's married to Joy - and he and Joy certainly considered themselves married, and they were legally so - he's unfaithful to her. If he's still married to his first wife, he's doubly unfaithful to her.

        >Interesting that Bill Gresham seemed to have a history of infidelity to
        >wives.

        He wouldn't be the only one, but we don't know much about that here in the rarified world of Inklings studies. (Who was that Phyllis Jones person again?)