Re: [mythsoc] Re: Lewis and Gresham

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2010
      Ah, the merry minuet of Religion & Sex.  So of course since Bill wasn't marriage-able, then Joy was never married, QED.  Watch me pull a rabbit out of my mitre.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2010
        <No, it isn't an error. He was married before, and from the info we
        have, he left
        his first wife (whose name I don't have) for Joy with some alacrity in
        1942.

        This is, interestingly, a critical fact in considering the status of
        Jack and
        Joy's marriage. The Church's argument was that it could not marry them
        because
        Joy was a divorced woman. But if that makes their marriage impossible,
        then Bill
        had been a divorced man and therefore his and Joy's marriage was
        impossible,
        which left Joy free to marry Jack.>

        Fascinating -- thanks. If I'd ever read those details, I'd forgotten.
        I'd thought Lewis's main ground for considering the marriage
        dissolvable was Bill's adultery.

        Interesting that Bill Gresham seemed to have a history of infidelity to
        wives.

        Granted, the ecclesiastical laws relating to annulment and the validity
        / invalidity of marriages can seem a bit odd. My only personal contact
        with such a case was that of my husband's brother, who got an annulment
        of his first marriage in the Catholic Church, in order to be allowed to
        remarry in the Church -- although he and his first wife had two
        children.

        Margaret L. Carter
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2010
          "Margaret L. Carter" <mlcvamp@...> wrote:

          >Fascinating -- thanks. If I'd ever read those details, I'd forgotten.
          >I'd thought Lewis's main ground for considering the marriage
          >dissolvable was Bill's adultery.

          Bill gets it in the neck either way. If he's married to Joy - and he and Joy certainly considered themselves married, and they were legally so - he's unfaithful to her. If he's still married to his first wife, he's doubly unfaithful to her.

          >Interesting that Bill Gresham seemed to have a history of infidelity to
          >wives.

          He wouldn't be the only one, but we don't know much about that here in the rarified world of Inklings studies. (Who was that Phyllis Jones person again?)