Re: [mythsoc] Re: Lewis and Gresham

    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2010
      "Margaret L. Carter" <mlcvamp@...> wrote:

      >The article identified Joy as his second wife, which I think was an
      >error; he wasn't married before her, was he?

      No, it isn't an error. He was married before, and from the info we have, he left his first wife (whose name I don't have) for Joy with some alacrity in 1942.

      This is, interestingly, a critical fact in considering the status of Jack and Joy's marriage. The Church's argument was that it could not marry them because Joy was a divorced woman. But if that makes their marriage impossible, then Bill had been a divorced man and therefore his and Joy's marriage was impossible, which left Joy free to marry Jack. So, at any rate, Lewis argued; but my understanding is that the Church wasn't buying it.
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2010
        Ah, the merry minuet of Religion & Sex.  So of course since Bill wasn't marriage-able, then Joy was never married, QED.  Watch me pull a rabbit out of my mitre.

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5122 (20100517) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5122 (20100517) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Margaret L. Carter
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2010
          <No, it isn't an error. He was married before, and from the info we
          have, he left
          his first wife (whose name I don't have) for Joy with some alacrity in
          1942.

          This is, interestingly, a critical fact in considering the status of
          Jack and
          Joy's marriage. The Church's argument was that it could not marry them
          because
          Joy was a divorced woman. But if that makes their marriage impossible,
          then Bill
          had been a divorced man and therefore his and Joy's marriage was
          impossible,
          which left Joy free to marry Jack.>

          Fascinating -- thanks. If I'd ever read those details, I'd forgotten.
          I'd thought Lewis's main ground for considering the marriage
          dissolvable was Bill's adultery.

          Interesting that Bill Gresham seemed to have a history of infidelity to
          wives.

          Granted, the ecclesiastical laws relating to annulment and the validity
          / invalidity of marriages can seem a bit odd. My only personal contact
          with such a case was that of my husband's brother, who got an annulment
          of his first marriage in the Catholic Church, in order to be allowed to
          remarry in the Church -- although he and his first wife had two
          children.

          Margaret L. Carter
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2010
            "Margaret L. Carter" <mlcvamp@...> wrote:

            >Fascinating -- thanks. If I'd ever read those details, I'd forgotten.
            >I'd thought Lewis's main ground for considering the marriage
            >dissolvable was Bill's adultery.

            Bill gets it in the neck either way. If he's married to Joy - and he and Joy certainly considered themselves married, and they were legally so - he's unfaithful to her. If he's still married to his first wife, he's doubly unfaithful to her.

            >Interesting that Bill Gresham seemed to have a history of infidelity to
            >wives.

            He wouldn't be the only one, but we don't know much about that here in the rarified world of Inklings studies. (Who was that Phyllis Jones person again?)