Re: [mythsoc] LotR films-related blog/book

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27 10:48 AM

      On Apr 26, 2010, at 12:18 PM, dale nelson wrote:
      This is reminding me of Scream for Jeeves, the Wodehouse-Meets-Lovecraft book of some years back.

      Yes, a wonderful little book. There's a rather disappointing expanded edition, FOREVER AZATHOTH [1999], but all the good stuff is in the slim original, especially the first story retelling "The Rats in the Walls" as a Bertie-and-Jeeves tale.

      The only other Wodehouse pastiche I've seen to match it is John Ellison's STIFF UPPER LIP, BILBO [1987], also known as THE ALTERNATIVE HOBBIT, which recasts Bilbo as a Bertie-Wooster type and retells the events of THE HOBBIT accordingly. Wonderful stuff, if you like that kind of thing. I suspect this parody fits the tale so easily because there probably was some influence from Wodehouse on Tolkien's nomenclature ('Bilbo', 'Bingo', &c).

      On a more sober note, the book WODEHOUSE AT WAR by Iain Sproat [1981] retells how English's most popular comic novelist was driven into a thirty-year exile under McCarthy-esque accusations of having collaborated with the Nazis while briefly a prisoner of war in 1940.