Re: [mythsoc] LOTR films and D&D

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
      >>I don't have the URL handy, but my favorite is the frame of Jackson (as an Umbar
      >>Corsair) getting thwacked in the head with Legolas's arrow, and the caption is
      >>"THAT'S for leaving out Bombadil!"
      >
      >That was funny, yes, but cited to back up a serious argument it would only reinforce the false impression that the objection to Jackson's films consists of not including every last jot and tittle of the plot. That's not it at all; he could have omitted a lot more of the plot, and I for one rather wish he had. It's the spirit of the book that he eviscerated, and treating Anduril as a plot token that can be dropped in casually at any point is a minor example of evisceration of spirit.

      Very true. I didn't mind his leaving things out. I did object to his inserting things that were made up out of whole cloth that violated the original spirit.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2010
        Alana, I expect you're entirely correct. And I also suspect that I'd get really into it, with the right combination of game/campaign and group. But that's also unlikely to happen, so I'm just glad to know there are folks out there enjoying that form of creativity.

        -- Lynn --