Re: [mythsoc] LOTR films and D&D

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
      >Have any of you looked at the "DM of the Rings" website?

      Yes, someone pointed me to it not long after it had started, and I followed it daily. A bit uneven, and some of the jokes may have been lost to anyone not conversant with D&D, but many times it was hilarious.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
        Thank you, Margaret; it is indeed hilarious, for me particularly because I remember playing D&D briefly in my dissolute youth, and this more than adequately explains why I quickly ceased: not just because, as someone once put it, that it had all the excitement and adventure of double-entry bookkeeping, but because, despite the best efforts of DM and even players (who were not such cretinous frogs as these), it utterly leached out every quality that made LOTR, and other great fantasies, worth reading in the first place.

        Certain subtexts here and there in the episodes show how Peter Jackson leached out Tolkien in the same way, albeit not to such a great extent. (And I wouldn't consider "Not as bad as a suboptimal D&D campaign" to be a very robust defense of Jackson.)

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
          Certain subtexts here and there in the episodes show how Peter Jackson leached out Tolkien in the same way ...

          Especially this one:
          <http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148>
        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
            My response to D&D and gaming in general is quite like yours, David - I find them interesting in theory and boring in execution. And yet I have friends who still game voraciously and have a great time. It's a good thing we humans encompass so much variety, eh?!

            Even so, I found the comic/blog/DM thing hysterical.

            -- Lynn --

            > Thank you, Margaret; it is indeed hilarious, for me particularly because I remember playing D&D briefly in my dissolute youth, and this more than adequately explains why I quickly ceased: not just because, as someone once put it, that it had all the excitement and adventure of double-entry bookkeeping, but because, despite the best efforts of DM and even players (who were not such cretinous frogs as these), it utterly leached out every quality that made LOTR, and other great fantasies, worth reading in the first place.
            >
            > Certain subtexts here and there in the episodes show how Peter Jackson leached out Tolkien in the same way, albeit not to such a great extent. (And I wouldn't consider "Not as bad as a suboptimal D&D campaign" to be a very robust defense of Jackson.)

          • Alana Abbott

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
                >Certain subtexts here and there in the episodes show how Peter Jackson leached out Tolkien in the same way ...
                >
                >Especially this one:
                ><http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148>

                I don't have the URL handy, but my favorite is the frame of Jackson (as an Umbar Corsair) getting thwacked in the head with Legolas's arrow, and the caption is "THAT'S for leaving out Bombadil!"

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
                  David Emerson wrote:

                  >I don't have the URL handy, but my favorite is the frame of Jackson (as an Umbar
                  >Corsair) getting thwacked in the head with Legolas's arrow, and the caption is
                  >"THAT'S for leaving out Bombadil!"

                  That was funny, yes, but cited to back up a serious argument it would only reinforce the false impression that the objection to Jackson's films consists of not including every last jot and tittle of the plot. That's not it at all; he could have omitted a lot more of the plot, and I for one rather wish he had. It's the spirit of the book that he eviscerated, and treating Anduril as a plot token that can be dropped in casually at any point is a minor example of evisceration of spirit.
                • David Emerson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
                    >>I don't have the URL handy, but my favorite is the frame of Jackson (as an Umbar
                    >>Corsair) getting thwacked in the head with Legolas's arrow, and the caption is
                    >>"THAT'S for leaving out Bombadil!"
                    >
                    >That was funny, yes, but cited to back up a serious argument it would only reinforce the false impression that the objection to Jackson's films consists of not including every last jot and tittle of the plot. That's not it at all; he could have omitted a lot more of the plot, and I for one rather wish he had. It's the spirit of the book that he eviscerated, and treating Anduril as a plot token that can be dropped in casually at any point is a minor example of evisceration of spirit.

                    Very true. I didn't mind his leaving things out. I did object to his inserting things that were made up out of whole cloth that violated the original spirit.

                    emerdavid

                    PeoplePC Online
                    A better way to Internet
                    http://www.peoplepc.com
                  • lynnmaudlin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 28, 2010
                      Alana, I expect you're entirely correct. And I also suspect that I'd get really into it, with the right combination of game/campaign and group. But that's also unlikely to happen, so I'm just glad to know there are folks out there enjoying that form of creativity.

                      -- Lynn --