Re: [mythsoc] The Lord of the Rings wins Tournament of Novels

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
      >I write about the Tournament, with links and the full list of competing novels at my blog:
      > http://lingwe.blogspot.com/2010/04/novel-kind-of-march-madness.html

      I posted the following comment in Jason's blog:

      Your wife's observation* begs the causality question: Does LOTR beat out other novels because of its "fanboys ... scribbling away obsessively on blogs and discussion groups," or is there a huge Tolkien fandom because the novel really is so great? In other words, is there a reason there aren't as many obsessive Twain or Melville fans, and does that reason have bearing on the intrinsic quality of their works?

      * "I think my wife has a good point that the novel largely owes its impressive showing in surveys of this sort to the cult of Tolkien."

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        your blogging software isn't taking comments (fie!) - not unless your comments are moderated AND there's no message to that effect?

        Anyway, I wrote:
        Okay, for the THIRD time (annoying blogging software, we hates it, we hates it forever!!): I expect Twain had his 'fan-boys' at the time; he was very popular, after all. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50 years or so before his work was viewed as "literature."

        What's different now is the level of inter-connectivity; starting with the invention of xerography and inexpensive postage one could write a fanzine and find other like-minded souls. This also enabled many special-interest organizations to flourish, such as the Mythopoeic Society. And now, of course, we have the InterWebs and Ungoliant...

        -- Lynn --