The Lord of the Rings wins Tournament of Novels

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
      The blog, "First Thoughts", has just concluded a March Madness-style Tournament of Novels, in which Tolkien's Lord of the Rings defeated 63 challengers to rule supreme in yet another survey. I write about the Tournament, with links and the full list of competing novels at my blog:

      Jason
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        >I write about the Tournament, with links and the full list of competing novels at my blog:
        > http://lingwe.blogspot.com/2010/04/novel-kind-of-march-madness.html

        I posted the following comment in Jason's blog:

        Your wife's observation* begs the causality question: Does LOTR beat out other novels because of its "fanboys ... scribbling away obsessively on blogs and discussion groups," or is there a huge Tolkien fandom because the novel really is so great? In other words, is there a reason there aren't as many obsessive Twain or Melville fans, and does that reason have bearing on the intrinsic quality of their works?

        * "I think my wife has a good point that the novel largely owes its impressive showing in surveys of this sort to the cult of Tolkien."

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
          your blogging software isn't taking comments (fie!) - not unless your comments are moderated AND there's no message to that effect?

          Anyway, I wrote:
          Okay, for the THIRD time (annoying blogging software, we hates it, we hates it forever!!): I expect Twain had his 'fan-boys' at the time; he was very popular, after all. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50 years or so before his work was viewed as "literature."

          What's different now is the level of inter-connectivity; starting with the invention of xerography and inexpensive postage one could write a fanzine and find other like-minded souls. This also enabled many special-interest organizations to flourish, such as the Mythopoeic Society. And now, of course, we have the InterWebs and Ungoliant...

          -- Lynn --