Tolkien and Haggard (was: Re: Recommended reading)

  • Sue Bridgwater
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2010
      There was an excellent thread on the Tolkien/Haggard relation on LOTRPlaza a year or so back - sadly I can't seem to trace it but it is worth following up - an admin could find the way to it if it is now in an archive.

      from Sue

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2010
        >From: not_thou <emptyD@...>
        >
        >Perhaps it would be better not to name them, but I can't resist quoting the following passage, one of my favorites:
        > [...]
        >(_J.R.R. Tolkien: The Shores of Middle-earth_, by Robert Giddings and Elizabeth Holland (1981), p. 176.)

        Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Giddings and Holland! The most blatant example of assuming influence based completely on similarities. They claimed that Saruman was based on a character from _Lorna Doone_ because the latter had (a) long white hair and (b) a persuasive voice. Bah!

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • camontes_dragon2001
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1, 2010
          What do you guys think of "The Keys of Middle Earth" by Stuart Lee? (Subtitle is "Discovering Medieval Literature through the Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien")

          > >From: not_thou <emptyD@...>
          > >
          > >Perhaps it would be better not to name them, but I can't resist quoting the following passage, one of my favorites:
          > > [...]
          > >(_J.R.R. Tolkien: The Shores of Middle-earth_, by Robert Giddings and Elizabeth Holland (1981), p. 176.)
          >

          > Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Giddings and Holland! The most blatant example of assuming influence based completely on similarities. They claimed that Saruman was based on a character from _Lorna Doone_ because the latter had (a) long white hair and (b) a persuasive voice. Bah!
          >
          > emerdavid

          > PeoplePC Online
          > A better way to Internet
          > http://www.peoplepc.com

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2010
            > What do you guys think of "The Keys of Middle Earth" by Stuart Lee? (Subtitle
            > is "Discovering Medieval Literature through the Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien")

            By Stuart Lee *and Elizabeth Solopova*. :)

            It's a very good collection. I especially like it because the authors print each selection in the original language with translation on the facing page, unlike previous collections of this type (e.g., The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, by Turgon). Lee and Solopova also contribute notes and commentary, which are both valuable and concise. Perhaps most significantly, they quote from previously unpublished academic lectures and essays by Tolkien. It's well worth reading.

            Jason
          • Larry Swain
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2010
              What Jason said.  I entirely agree.  I used it a few years ago as a source book for a Tolkien course I was teaching and it worked very well.

              Larry Swain