Re: Gandalf and STAR WARS

  • Margaret L. Carter
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28 1:20 PM
      <Presumably Lucas knew of Gandalf even if he'd never read LOTR, but
      surely
      it makes more sense that Gandalf and Obi-Wan are independent
      manifestations
      of the greater archetype of wizard?

      Yeah, but we know that Lucas read The Lord of the Rings, don't we? I
      would say that Obi-Wan is constructed from Lucas's vague memories of
      many
      things that he read or saw, including Tolkien.>

      The first thing I thought of upon my original viewing of Obi-Wan's
      fatal duel with Vader was, "Hey, that's Gandalf and the Balrog!" My
      next thought was that Obi-Wan would be back sooner or later. Which
      indeed occurred, although not in a physical body like Gandalf.

      Margaret Carter