Re: Recommended Reading

  • ernestsdavis
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2010
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, dale nelson <extollager2006@...> wrote:

      > :) That Watcher in the Water outside the Moria-gate does seem to have strayed into Middle-earth from a science fiction story. Now really, what's that doing here? It may have swum over from H. G. Wells's horrifying story "The Sea-Raiders."

      The Watcher in the Water always seemed to me to fit perfectly well in a world with Shelob, Balrogs, and so on. The one thing in LotR that always did seem out of place to me was the Paths of the Dead (predictably, another episode that Jackson went to town on). I find it entirely unmoving, and it doesn't make any sense; how does Isildur out of the blue have the power to cast such a potent spell? In a certain sense, it weakens the impact of the Nazgul if men can create immortal undead just by cursing people.