Mythcon 38 & Doctor Who

  • herenistarion
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2010
      Greetings fellow Mythies,
      We have been way busy of late to post here, and it has been a while! But hope all are well.
      As you all know Mythcon 38 @ CCSU had its ups and downs, no sheets on time, plus numerous other items but one thing did come out of it--
      Jessica Burke (Programming), Kristine Larsen (Site Liasion) and myself (Chair) decided to put together a book.

      After Mythcon Jessie and I stayed at Kristine's for a few days unwinding and watching recent episodes of Doctor Who. They both had a chat that applied Leslie Donovan's Valkryie Reflex to the female companions of Doctor Who. Both Kris and Jessie have a two part chapter, one from each that examines this.

      For my chapter came up with a crazy theory on how the Doctor could have been Gandalf, as he was Merlin, intertwining classic Doctor Who episodes, Tolkien's sub-creative theories and thoughts from writers of the Doctor Who series. The Mythological Dimensions of Doctor Who was then born.

      Kitsune Books May 2010
      http://www.kitsunebooks.com/DoctorWho.html

      Below is the table of contents.

      We also dedicate the book, in thanks to ya'll, to Lynn Maudlin and The Mythopoeic Society

      The PR has just barely begun but Kristine, Jessie and I were invited to take part in recording a Doctor Who podcast called The Happiness Patrol (named after a 7th Doctor story) For those who use iTunes you can subscribes via that services or have a listen here:
      http://www.thehappinesspatrol.blogspot.com/

      Episode 14: The hosts are a bit loose, open and funny, but after the opening sequence they get down to chatting with us about how the book began, and MythSoc gets air time about all of the above

      If your on facebook we have a page for the book:
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mythological-Dimensions-of-Doctor-Who/297598851027

      So I hope it is something that many MythSoc members will enjoy, hopefully have some good things to say and if anything some constructive criticisms

      Best,
      Anthony Burdge

      TABLE OF CONTENTS
      Foreword: Dream the Myth Onwards
      Simon Guerrier

      Preface: The Mythology of a Legend
      Barnaby Edwards

      Chapter1:
      Canon, Myth and Memory in Doctor Who
      C.B. Harvey

      Chapter2:
      Holy Terror and Fallen Demigod: The Doctor as Myth
      Neil Clarke

      Chapter 3:
      I Am Vengeance, I Am the Night, I Am . . . the Doctor?
      Leslie McMurtry

      Chapter 4:
      A Professor's lesson for the Doctor:
      The Doctor's sub-creative journey toward Middle-earth
      Anthony S. Burdge

      Chapter 5:
      Life During Wartime:
      An Analysis of Wartime Morality in Doctor Who
      Melissa Beattie

      Chapter 6:
      "It Turns Out they Died for Nothing":
      Doctor Who and the Idea of Sacrificial Death
      Melody Green

      Chapter 7:
      Doctor Who and the Valkyrie Tradition, Part 1:
      The Valiant Child and the Bad Wolf
      Kristine Larsen

      Chapter 8:
      Doctor Who and the Valkyrie Tradition, Part 2:
      Goddesses, Battle Demons, Wives and Daughters
      Jessica Burke

      Chapter 9:
      The Doctor or the (post) modern Prometheus (tentatively titled)
      Vincent O'Brien

      Chapter 10:
      "Mythology makes you feel something":
      The Russell T. Davies Era as sentimental Journey
      Matt Hills

      Afterword:
      Anne Petty
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2010
        I'm very excited about this book (my son & grandkids are MAJOR Dr Who fans!) but I do want to respond to the "ups & downs" comment about Mythcon 38:

        Yeah, there was that mind-boggling sheets mix-up but *now* we all laugh about it (and make sure to confirm with the site that bedding is included!) - but the things I remember about Mythcon 38 are wonderful: glorious skies and unique program items like Kris Larsen & her planetarium (well, essentially!) providing a Middle-earth view of the sky; Marjorie Burns speaking in her embroidered Norwegian dress; the nekkid blue devil (!!)... It was a terrific Mythcon and the three of you did a great job of problem-solving on the fly. No one can ask anything more. Never give up, never surrender! (oh wait-- wrong meme).

        Looking forward to the release of this book--

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "herenistarion" <herenistarion@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Life During Wartime:
        > An Analysis of Wartime Morality in Doctor Who
        > Melissa Beattie
        >
        > Chapter 6:
        > "It Turns Out they Died for Nothing":
        > Doctor Who and the Idea of Sacrificial Death
        > Melody Green
        >
        > Chapter 7:
        > Doctor Who and the Valkyrie Tradition, Part 1:
        > The Valiant Child and the Bad Wolf
        > Kristine Larsen
        >
        > Chapter 8:
        > Doctor Who and the Valkyrie Tradition, Part 2:
        > Goddesses, Battle Demons, Wives and Daughters
        > Jessica Burke
        >
        > Chapter 9:
        > The Doctor or the (post) modern Prometheus (tentatively titled)
        > Vincent O'Brien
        >
        > Chapter 10:
        > "Mythology makes you feel something":
        > The Russell T. Davies Era as sentimental Journey

      • herenistarion
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
          Thank you very much Lynn for the reassurance and thoughts on MC, and our book, Ive an email I just replied to via Janet Croft about reviews for Mythlore/print --thank you!
          Kitsune has posted our early launch events, and press, we were interviewed for a podcast as I cited in 1st post, and Kitsune has posted the 2nd interview I gave about the book
          http://www.kitsunebooks.com/events.html

          Episode 54.5
          http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=22756&cmd=tc

          Here are some advance reviews
          Advance Reviews

          "In a television show fandom that hoards its myths and canon tight to its chest, The Mythological Dimensions of Doctor Who is a welcome inhalation of air; examining many of the very `set in stone' beliefs that we hold true, while examining the etheric connections between a television series and some of the greatest mythological traditions
          of all time. A solid read."

          —Tony Lee, Writer of IDW Publishing's Doctor Who Ongoing

          "The Mythological Dimensions of Doctor Who offers fascinating perspectives on that iconic time traveler of contemporary popular culture. The articles in this new collection successfully join Doctor Who's fan-based cultural history to well-accepted academic scholarship on mythology.
          From Arthurian legend and Batman to medieval Scandinavian Valkyries and modern wartime morality, the diversity of subjects and themes explored in this collection offer compelling insights on the roles mythologies, both past and present, play in contemporary consciousness. By addressing newcomers to the Doctor Who series as well as those who have followed the Doctor's multiple incarnations since the 1960s, this volume is likely to become one of those classic works that raises the bar for future study in this field."

          —Leslie A. Donovan, Tolkien Studies scholar and Associate Professor at the University of New Mexico; author of "The Valkyrie Reflex in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: Galadriel, Shelob, Éowyn, and Arwen"

          "A collection of excellent essays that is engaging for the serious fan and will deepen the interest of the new viewer. Every generation has a method of storytelling to pass its collected wisdom to the next. This book helps us connect the themes of a modern television legend to the timeless myths of the past."

          —Ken Deep, Co-host of Doctor Who Podshock

          "Doctor Who has evolved into a mythological system, with all the use of archetypes and self-contradictory variation that implies. This collection addresses that fact, and both examines the mythology of the show, and seeks to make connections to other mythologies, both ancient and more recent, offering new perspectives on a familiar
          show."
          —Tony Keen, British Science Fiction Association

          "This book assembles essays which are both valuable 'eyewitness accounts' of Doctor Who's mythic status in television culture at the close of the first decade of the twenty-first century, and applications of methods used across disciplines to assess Doctor Who's debt to legend, particularly the Nordic and classical traditions, as well as modern and postmodern anxieties concerning gender and power. Its authors display awareness of the importance of Doctor Who's longevity in shaping its multi-authored identity since 1963; they are drawn from inside and outside academic life and so offer a rich diversity of voices for the consideration for students, critics and historians of contemporary media."

          —Matthew Kilburn, Oxford Doctor Who Society

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Life During Wartime:
          > > An Analysis of Wartime Morality in Doctor Who
          > > Melissa Beattie
          > >
          > > Chapter 6:
          > > "It Turns Out they Died for Nothing":
          > > Doctor Who and the Idea of Sacrificial Death
          > > Melody Green
          > >
          > > Chapter 7:
          > > Doctor Who and the Valkyrie Tradition, Part 1:
          > > The Valiant Child and the Bad Wolf
          > > Kristine Larsen
          > >
          > > Chapter 8:
          > > Doctor Who and the Valkyrie Tradition, Part 2:
          > > Goddesses, Battle Demons, Wives and Daughters
          > > Jessica Burke
          > >
          > > Chapter 9:
          > > The Doctor or the (post) modern Prometheus (tentatively titled)
          > > Vincent O'Brien
          > >
          > > Chapter 10:
          > > "Mythology makes you feel something":
          > > The Russell T. Davies Era as sentimental Journey

        • hoytrand
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
            Wasn't Mythcon **39** at CCSU? Or I am miscounting?

            Thanks,
            ~randy
          • herenistarion
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
              OY! Yup your right Randy, t'was I who miscounted ;-(

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "hoytrand" <randy@...> wrote:

              > Wasn't Mythcon **39** at CCSU? Or I am miscounting?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > ~randy

            • herenistarion
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 17, 2010
                Greetings fellow Mythies,

                As I previously shared in the Mythcon 38 & Doctor Who thread (I know now it was MC 39 but in case anyone searches for the thread I cited it as I first posted the topic)

                Jessie, Kristine Larsen and I have a forthcoming book "The Mythological Dimensions of Doctor Who," which we dedicate to Lynn and MythSoc as it was Mythcon 39, Lynn and Leslie Donovan that put us together and the book was born from. (With many thanks to Jason Fisher)

                It is now available to Pre Order via Kitsune Books, and by Mid-April via Amazon US/UK

                http://www.kitsunebooks.com/DoctorWho.html

                We have Janet Croft on our reviewers list for a potential MythPrint/Mythlore review.

                Thanks again to all our fellow mythies and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book.

                Best,
                Anthony