Re: [mythsoc] Re: Illustrated Edition of Fouque's "The Magic Ring"

    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 30, 2010
      Jason Fisher wrote:

      >In this case, I would not use the word
      >"influence" to describe this kind of
      >indirect second-hand relationship.

      I would agree with this. All that the quote from the introduction proves is that Tolkien worked in the same tradition that Fouqué worked in. I would not dignify that with a strong word like "influence".

      There's an increasing, and unfortunate, tendency to treat intellectual ideas like the equivalent of mining or homesteading claims. The first person to get there establishes permanent ownership, and anyone else digging in the same territory is either a licensed borrower or a thief.

      I think that's way overboard. This example increases the concern I feel over the definition of words like "influence" or "source" which I am currently wrestling with in regard to Tolkien.
    • dale nelson
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 1, 2010
        And of course George MacDonald's brief answer to the question "What is a fairy-tale?" was "Read 'Undine'" (in "The Fantastic Imagination," I believe).

        Dale Nelson