Re: [mythsoc] Illustrated Edition of Fouque's "The Magic Ring"

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 29, 2010
      <grin>  Me too.  But then, my usual (private) response to people who want to fiddle with older texts to conform with modern sensibilities is, "Oh good grief, people, have a little historical perspective!"  I do concede that if I were of something other than Northern European background, I might have a different view.  (Not quite WASP, because there's at the very least a little French Huguenot mixed in back there.)

      --Margaret Dean

      That can certainly work.  (Although I personally find myself almost pathologically unable to ignore footnotes.)

      Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 10:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Illustrated Edition of Fouque's "The Magic Ring"

      I have seen books be footnoted culturally with some success -- Geoffrey Ashe's only novel, The Finger and the Moon, had footnotes all through the new edition to explain the era and culture in which it was written (a hermetic sort of environment in, I believe, the 1960s). This to me seems like a much more true-to-the-text way to update works that would offend (or just confuse) modern ethical/cultural sensibilities without an actual "scrub."

      (Also, if you want to just get into the text, you can always skip reading  the footnotes.)

      -Alana

      On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

      I certainly understand why you say that, Sue, but I have to disagree with your hope that "the new edition has been seriously edited."  I don't believe that "scrubbing clean" the works of authors from a previous generation to match a modern ethical sensibility is the right approach.  The author wrote what he wrote, and that should be preserved intact, even if we find what was written offensive.  To do otherwise would be a form of cultural censorship.  Moreover, if we strive to remove the signs of prejudice and bias from the past, how will be ever learn from them? At least that is how I see it.

      Doug

    • dale nelson
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 1, 2010
        And of course George MacDonald's brief answer to the question "What is a fairy-tale?" was "Read 'Undine'" (in "The Fantastic Imagination," I believe).

        Dale Nelson