Re: [mythsoc] Re: Illustrated Edi tion of [de la Motte Fouqué's] "The Magic Ring"

  • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 29, 2010
      WendellWag@... wrote:

      > Thanks, Jason. Back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, it seemed like
      > every fantasy book that came out had to be labeled as "in the tradition
      > of Tolkien" or "the inspiration for Tolkien," even when that was a
      > hopeless stretch. Aren't we beyond that now? Can't a fantasy book be
      > sold without having to relate it to Tolkien?

      In the case of de la Motte Fouqué, the association was made as
      early as 1920, when Tolkien read "The Fall of Gondolin" to the
      Exeter Essay Club. See Scull & Hammond's _Chronology_, 10 March 1920.
      So whether Tolkien ever read de la Motte Fouqué or not, he would
      at least have known that it was an author that others might compare him
      to.

      Chivalrous greetings,

      Beregond
    • dale nelson
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 1, 2010
        And of course George MacDonald's brief answer to the question "What is a fairy-tale?" was "Read 'Undine'" (in "The Fantastic Imagination," I believe).

        Dale Nelson