Bonniejean Christensen dissertation request

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
      Can anyone help out with this request?

      http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=5820#forumpost5820

      * find out how close these two are in terms of content:
      o "Christensen, Bonniejean. "Tolkien's Creative Technique:
      Beowulf and The Hobbit." Mythlore 15 (Spring 1989): 4-10.
      o Christensen, Bonniejean. "Beowulf and The Hobbit: Elegy into
      Fantasy in J. R. R. Tolkien's Creative Technique."
      Dissertation, University of Southern California, 1969. DAI
      30 (1970): 4401-02A.

      He would also like to find a copy of the dissertation if possible.  I have forwarded the link for ordering back issues of Mythlore already.
    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
        Unfortunately, this issue of MYTHLORE falls among those I still have inaccessibly boxed away. But if this person is looking for a copy, he needs to be warned that this issue is NOT #15 but part of VOLUME 15. The issue he's looking for would be somewhere around #56.
           I do have a copy of the dissertation, though in rather battered condition, and so could provide a copy of specific pages or passages if he can't find one for himself; I believe Marquette and probably Wheaton have copies as well. And since the dissertation was for a degree granted at the University of Southern California, there shd be a copy on file there as well.
           At least one important excerpt from this dissertation has been published as an essay: "Gollum's Character Transformation in The Hobbit", which lays out the changes between the first and second editions of the Gollum-scene in parallel columns. It appears in Lobdell's A TOLKIEN COMPASS (both the original 1975 edition and the truncated  2003 re-issue).
          --John R.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
          Thanks John!  you are correct about Volume 15 (based on the citation of Spring 1989, he wants #57 / 15:3 ).

          I don't know if he will reach out to you directly for additional assistance, but I appreciate the offer.  Thanks again.

          Jeremy

        • Edith Crowe
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2010
            ProQuest is now the vendor for these dissertations...see http://www.proquest.com/en-US/products/dissertations/.
            --
            Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
            The Mythopoeic Society

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2010
              Thanks Edith!

              I took a look at ProQuest, and it does not appear that I can create an account to search the database as an individual. I have to be a library to be able to create an account and use the database.  I will check with my local public library to see if they are a subscriber.  I don't have an affiliation with a school/university library that I can leverage at this time, unfortunately.

              Looks like a great resource, however!

              Jeremy