Re: [mythsoc] Illustrated Edition of Fouque's "The Magic Ring"

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 29, 2010
      I certainly understand why you say that, Sue, but I have to disagree with your hope that "the new edition has been seriously edited."  I don't believe that "scrubbing clean" the works of authors from a previous generation to match a modern ethical sensibility is the right approach.  The author wrote what he wrote, and that should be preserved intact, even if we find what was written offensive.  To do otherwise would be a form of cultural censorship.  Moreover, if we strive to remove the signs of prejudice and bias from the past, how will be ever learn from them? At least that is how I see it.

      Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 7:15 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Illustrated Edition of Fouque's "The Magic Ring"

      Congratulations Jeff on the publication, but I have to admit your description of the Romance itself rang some alarm bells.  No objection to a tale being moral and christian, but when I looked up an online text
      I had only to read to page 3 to find this;
      -- an old Moorish woman, a servant at the castle, with an uncouth and swarth visage, for she was a native of Africa - - - her dark complexion and strange features betrayed her eastern origin.
      If the whole tale is filled with such references in the original, I would hope the new edition has been seriously edited? Uncouth?  Strange?

      from Sue

    • dale nelson
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 1, 2010
        And of course George MacDonald's brief answer to the question "What is a fairy-tale?" was "Read 'Undine'" (in "The Fantastic Imagination," I believe).

        Dale Nelson