Re: Illustrated Edition of Fouque's "The Magic Ring"

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 29, 2010
      Wendell,

      I realize this doesn’t quite answer the question you actually asked, but I think it gets to the heart of why you asked it. I don’t have a copy of the book either.

      From Doug Anderson’s “Book Notes” in Tolkien Studies 4 (2007): “Valancourt Books has reprinted in trade paperback the 1825 translation by Robert Pearse Gillies of The Magic Ring by Baron de la Motte Fouqué (ISBN 0977784126). Though advertised by the publisher as ‘one of the inspirations for Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings,’ the introduction by Amy H. Sturgis is much more cautious, claiming only that such works of German Romanticism as The Magic Ring influenced George MacDonald, and laid the foundation for Tolkien to follow afterward. Though Tolkien himself, in the printed record of his letters and essays, was oddly silent about works by the German Romantics, reprints of such neglected fantasies as The Magic Ring are welcome.” (pg. 324)

      See also this review (especially the second paragraph): http://www.sfsite.com/10a/mr233.htm

      Best,
      Jason

      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 1, 2010
        And of course George MacDonald's brief answer to the question "What is a fairy-tale?" was "Read 'Undine'" (in "The Fantastic Imagination," I believe).

        Dale Nelson