Re: [mythsoc] Illustrated Edition of Fouque's "The Magic Ring"

    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 29, 2010
      What is the argument that Tolkien was influenced by "The Magic Ring"?  Please, give me something other than just a reference to an article that claims this.  Yeah, I could buy the book and read Amy Sturgis's introduction, but then I would already have bought the book.  I'd like some detail about why it's supposed that Tolkien had been influenced by this book.  I don't recall reading anything about it before.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 1/28/2010 8:43:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jef.murray@... writes:
      "The Magic Ring" is believed to have been an influence on
      J.R.R. Tolkien's writings
    • dale nelson
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 1, 2010
        And of course George MacDonald's brief answer to the question "What is a fairy-tale?" was "Read 'Undine'" (in "The Fantastic Imagination," I believe).

        Dale Nelson