Re: [mythsoc] Special Tolkien/Lewis journal issue

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
      I have to agree with Carl. I'm not Catholic myself, but I still found
      myself somewhat offended by the "joke". I agree that it had no place on
      this list.

      Doug

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
        All I picked up from the original comment is that the magazine's description of its contributors was rather puffy and self-congratulatory, and that Vincent thought this inappropriate. That far I agree, but what was or was not Catholic (or catholic) about it escaped me. I found that bit neither offensive nor inoffensive, just elusive.
      • John Rateliff
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
          Vincent:
             In modern American English, 'catholic' means Roman Catholic. Yes, it once meant 'universal', just as 'quick' once meant 'living', but it's been several centuries since it was used in that sense (the sole exception being the ritual phrases "the quick and the dead" and "the holy catholic church", both in the Apostles' Creed). Hence jokes based on its archaic meaning are facing a bit of a handicap, esp. given that the whole phrase you quote is idiomatic.
             As for 'brightest and most vigorous minds around', this is just a blurb: an extravagant statement of the excellence of a book or magazine's contents. Sometimes they're justified ("lightning from a clear sky"), often v. much not ("the best since Tolkien!"). In this case, since following the link leads to this specific issue's table of contents, it's easy to see the names involved and make yr own judgment: Joseph Pearce (editorial), Ken Gaertner, Michael Waldstein, Matthew P. Akers (whose piece on 'Distributism in the Shire' is available online), Marie Cabaud Meaney, Louis Markos, Th. Howard, Sophia Mason, Susan Treacy, Fr. Dwight Longenecker, Fr. Benedict Kiely, Patrick G. D. Riley, Peter Ryden, Sr. Ruth Evans, and reviews by Clara Sarrocco, James Como, Pamela H. Tyrrell, & Eric Tanquist. I'm unfamiliar with most of these, but that just tells me I'm likely to get new perspectives if I were to read their pieces. In any case, I'll probably pick up this issue anyway for the Como review of the two new Barfield books, since I worked on one of these (EAGER SPRING).
             --John R.

          On Jan 18, 2010, at 2:20 AM, ferretolk wrote:
          > "The St. Austin Review (StAR) is the premier international journal of Catholic culture, literature, and ideas. In its pages, printed every two months, some of the brightest and most vigorous minds around meet to explore the people, ideas, movements, and events that shape and misshape our world."

          "some of the brightest and most vigorous minds around " ? does not sound very catholic to me...
          (and around what ?)

          best,
          Vincent

        • Vincent Ferré
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
            thank you, david. that's exactly what I wrote in my answers.

            I was pointing the very annoying tendency to "advertise" any publication on well-know topics with superlatives. (...) do we always have to compete ?

            (as far as the joke is concerned, it was a way of "smoothing" my remark. I do not think that my mail needs so many comments...).

            best wishes to all,
            vincent

            Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 8:42 PM

              All I picked up from the original comment is that the magazine's description of its contributors was rather puffy and self-congratulatory , and that Vincent thought this inappropriate. That far I agree, but what was or was not Catholic (or catholic) about it escaped me. I found that bit neither offensive nor inoffensive, just elusive.

            __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4784 (20100118) __________

            Le message a �t� v�rifi� par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

            http://www.eset.com