Re: [mythsoc] Special Tolkien/Lewis journal issue

  • Grace Monk
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
      I am confused, Vincent. Are you trying to make a joke here? Trying to register your displeasure with the Roman Catholic Church? Or trying to disparage the StAR? Whatever you were trying to do, you were unsuccessful in every way. Try again. Or, on second thought, don't bother. None of the above options need to be on the MythSoc list.

      Grace Walker Monk

      On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM, ferretolk <ferretolk@...> wrote:

      > "The St. Austin Review (StAR) is the premier international journal of Catholic culture, literature, and ideas. In its pages, printed every two months, some of the brightest and most vigorous minds around meet to explore the people, ideas, movements, and events that shape and misshape our world."

      "some of the brightest and most vigorous minds around " ? does not sound very catholic to me...
      (and around what ?)

      best,
      Vincent

      __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4782 (20100118) __________

      Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

      http://www.eset.com

    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
        Of course, I was joking, and no offense to the Roman Catholic Church - but a Tolkienian joke. and at the same time, I was pointing the very annoying tendency to "advertise" any publication on well-know topics with superlatives. Seriously, howe these "brightest and most vigorous minds around " been evaluated? are these terms relevant ? do we always have to compete ?
        that was the obvious meaning of my message - and it is not irrelevant on this list.

        vincent

        __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4783 (20100118) __________

        Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

        http://www.eset.com
      • Jonathan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
          Around the world, Vinnie...  You just got to think about it a little more, and then it all just makes sense, in a strange sort of way...
          Ciao, Babe!
          Jonathan Michael Reiter
          jmr

          On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM, ferretolk <ferretolk@hotmail. com> wrote:

          > "The St. Austin Review (StAR) is the premier international journal of Catholic culture, literature, and ideas. In its pages, printed every two months, some of the brightest and most vigorous minds around meet to explore the people, ideas, movements, and events that shape and misshape our world."

          "some of the brightest and most vigorous minds around " ? does not sound very catholic to me...
          (and around what ?)

          best,
          Vincent

          __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4782 (20100118) __________

          Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

          http://www.eset. com

        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
            So the "joke" you're making, Vincent, is that singling out a group of writers as "some of the best and most vigorous" isn't _catholic_ (in the general sense of the word, meaning "universal", not referring specifically to the Catholic Church)?

            If so, it was certainly not "obvious", and I fail to see what is "Tolkienian" about it (nor is it much of a joke, just a really strained pun, poorly expressed); nor do I see how it is relevant to this list.

            Carl

            On Jan 18, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Vincent Ferré wrote:

            > Of course, I was joking, and no offense to the Roman Catholic Church - but a Tolkienian joke. and at the same time, I was pointing the very annoying tendency to "advertise" any publication on well-know topics with superlatives. Seriously, howe these "brightest and most vigorous minds around " been evaluated? are these terms relevant ? do we always have to compete ?
            > that was the obvious meaning of my message - and it is not irrelevant on this list.
            >
            > vincent
            >

            > I am confused, Vincent. Are you trying to make a joke here? Trying to register your displeasure with the Roman Catholic Church? Or trying to disparage the StAR? Whatever you were trying to do, you were unsuccessful in every way. Try again. Or, on second thought, don't bother. None of the above options need to be on the MythSoc list.
            >

            > __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4783 (20100118) __________
            >
            > Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
            >
            > http://www.eset.com

          • Doug Kane
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
              I have to agree with Carl. I'm not Catholic myself, but I still found
              myself somewhat offended by the "joke". I agree that it had no place on
              this list.

              Doug

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
                All I picked up from the original comment is that the magazine's description of its contributors was rather puffy and self-congratulatory, and that Vincent thought this inappropriate. That far I agree, but what was or was not Catholic (or catholic) about it escaped me. I found that bit neither offensive nor inoffensive, just elusive.
              • John Rateliff
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
                  Vincent:
                     In modern American English, 'catholic' means Roman Catholic. Yes, it once meant 'universal', just as 'quick' once meant 'living', but it's been several centuries since it was used in that sense (the sole exception being the ritual phrases "the quick and the dead" and "the holy catholic church", both in the Apostles' Creed). Hence jokes based on its archaic meaning are facing a bit of a handicap, esp. given that the whole phrase you quote is idiomatic.
                     As for 'brightest and most vigorous minds around', this is just a blurb: an extravagant statement of the excellence of a book or magazine's contents. Sometimes they're justified ("lightning from a clear sky"), often v. much not ("the best since Tolkien!"). In this case, since following the link leads to this specific issue's table of contents, it's easy to see the names involved and make yr own judgment: Joseph Pearce (editorial), Ken Gaertner, Michael Waldstein, Matthew P. Akers (whose piece on 'Distributism in the Shire' is available online), Marie Cabaud Meaney, Louis Markos, Th. Howard, Sophia Mason, Susan Treacy, Fr. Dwight Longenecker, Fr. Benedict Kiely, Patrick G. D. Riley, Peter Ryden, Sr. Ruth Evans, and reviews by Clara Sarrocco, James Como, Pamela H. Tyrrell, & Eric Tanquist. I'm unfamiliar with most of these, but that just tells me I'm likely to get new perspectives if I were to read their pieces. In any case, I'll probably pick up this issue anyway for the Como review of the two new Barfield books, since I worked on one of these (EAGER SPRING).
                     --John R.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
                    thank you, david. that's exactly what I wrote in my answers.

                    I was pointing the very annoying tendency to "advertise" any publication on well-know topics with superlatives. (...) do we always have to compete ?

                    (as far as the joke is concerned, it was a way of "smoothing" my remark. I do not think that my mail needs so many comments...).

                    best wishes to all,
                    vincent

                    Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 8:42 PM

                      All I picked up from the original comment is that the magazine's description of its contributors was rather puffy and self-congratulatory , and that Vincent thought this inappropriate. That far I agree, but what was or was not Catholic (or catholic) about it escaped me. I found that bit neither offensive nor inoffensive, just elusive.

                    __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4784 (20100118) __________

                    Le message a �t� v�rifi� par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

                    http://www.eset.com