Borges and Tolkien again

  • ernestsdavis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2010
      I asked a while ago about parallels between Borges and Tolkien. I just noticed another one.

      "Theoretically a language in which the name of each being would indicate all the details of its destiny, past and future, is not inconceivable." Borges, "The Analytical Language of John Wilkins", Other Inquisitions.

      "Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to in my language" Treebeard, Two Towers, chap 4.

      -- Ernie