Re: "Britishism" question

  • icelofangeln
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2009

      > The fact that, as Janet points out, Eomer uses the phrase "right name" argues against the reading that Tolkien intends this as unsophisticated or rural; Eomer generally speaks in the same elevated diction as Aragorn.

      But that's not necessarily a contradiction: rural speech often preserves archaic elements, things that were once part of formal speech, for example in the way some communities continued to use 'thee' and 'thou.' "Right X" is perfectly good Elizabethan English, as in Antony's plaint that Cleopatra "like a right gipsy hath at fast and loose/beguil'd me to the very heart of loss."

      (And what about the phrase "right now"? - just a living fossil, really. And "Right Honourable.")