Re: Tolkien's tobacco

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
      *heh!*

      But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?

      -- Lynn --

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
        And I suppose you could, equally theoretically, find a stash of JRRT's tobacco and put it in a new tin. So?

        >But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?
        >
        > -- Lynn --
        >

        >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> >Roken is dodelijk
        >>
        >> That, in case you're wondering, is the Dutch equivalent of the Surgeon
        >> General's warning: "Smoking is deadly."
        >>
        >> >Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell!
        >>
        >> Tobacco can smell OK as long as nobody tries to light it on fire or anything
        >> stupid like that.
        >>
        >> >There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode
        >> >and the price on the seal (which says Benelux)
        >> >is in euros, so it can't be too old.
        >>
        >> It'd be amusing if one tried to claim that this particular tin had belonged
        >> to Tolkien himself -- rather like the author's autographed copy of The
        >> Silmarillion.

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
          well that would reduce the value of the tin of JRRT's tobacco by a great deal, don'cha think?

          ...you do know I'm being playful, right?