Re: Tolkien's tobacco

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
      cool-- my son would occasionally smoke a pipe - a nice pipe tobacco is quite lovely, actually.

      -- Lynn --

      > A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien) -- tin says Capstan original Navy cut, Roken is dodelijk, made in Denmark under licence of Imperial Tobacco Limited England. Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell! There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode and the price on the seal (which says Benelux) is in euros, so it can't be too old.
      >
      > Janet Brennan Croft

    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
        *heh!*

        But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?

        -- Lynn --

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
          And I suppose you could, equally theoretically, find a stash of JRRT's tobacco and put it in a new tin. So?

          >But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?
          >
          > -- Lynn --
          >

          >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> >Roken is dodelijk
          >>
          >> That, in case you're wondering, is the Dutch equivalent of the Surgeon
          >> General's warning: "Smoking is deadly."
          >>
          >> >Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell!
          >>
          >> Tobacco can smell OK as long as nobody tries to light it on fire or anything
          >> stupid like that.
          >>
          >> >There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode
          >> >and the price on the seal (which says Benelux)
          >> >is in euros, so it can't be too old.
          >>
          >> It'd be amusing if one tried to claim that this particular tin had belonged
          >> to Tolkien himself -- rather like the author's autographed copy of The
          >> Silmarillion.

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
            well that would reduce the value of the tin of JRRT's tobacco by a great deal, don'cha think?

            ...you do know I'm being playful, right?