Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien's tobacco

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
      >A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien)

      Just when I thought the Tolkien collector's market was saturated....

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
        cool-- my son would occasionally smoke a pipe - a nice pipe tobacco is quite lovely, actually.

        -- Lynn --

        > A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien) -- tin says Capstan original Navy cut, Roken is dodelijk, made in Denmark under licence of Imperial Tobacco Limited England. Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell! There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode and the price on the seal (which says Benelux) is in euros, so it can't be too old.
        >
        > Janet Brennan Croft

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
          *heh!*

          But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?

          -- Lynn --

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
            And I suppose you could, equally theoretically, find a stash of JRRT's tobacco and put it in a new tin. So?

            >But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?
            >
            > -- Lynn --
            >

            >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> >Roken is dodelijk
            >>
            >> That, in case you're wondering, is the Dutch equivalent of the Surgeon
            >> General's warning: "Smoking is deadly."
            >>
            >> >Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell!
            >>
            >> Tobacco can smell OK as long as nobody tries to light it on fire or anything
            >> stupid like that.
            >>
            >> >There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode
            >> >and the price on the seal (which says Benelux)
            >> >is in euros, so it can't be too old.
            >>
            >> It'd be amusing if one tried to claim that this particular tin had belonged
            >> to Tolkien himself -- rather like the author's autographed copy of The
            >> Silmarillion.

          • lynnmaudlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
              well that would reduce the value of the tin of JRRT's tobacco by a great deal, don'cha think?

              ...you do know I'm being playful, right?