Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien's tobacco

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
      From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

      >Roken is dodelijk

      That, in case you're wondering, is the Dutch equivalent of the Surgeon
      General's warning: "Smoking is deadly."

      >Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell!

      Tobacco can smell OK as long as nobody tries to light it on fire or anything
      stupid like that.

      >There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode
      >and the price on the seal (which says Benelux)
      >is in euros, so it can't be too old.

      It'd be amusing if one tried to claim that this particular tin had belonged
      to Tolkien himself -- rather like the author's autographed copy of The
      Silmarillion.
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
        >A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien)

        Just when I thought the Tolkien collector's market was saturated....

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
          cool-- my son would occasionally smoke a pipe - a nice pipe tobacco is quite lovely, actually.

          -- Lynn --

          > A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien) -- tin says Capstan original Navy cut, Roken is dodelijk, made in Denmark under licence of Imperial Tobacco Limited England. Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell! There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode and the price on the seal (which says Benelux) is in euros, so it can't be too old.
          >
          > Janet Brennan Croft

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
            *heh!*

            But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
              And I suppose you could, equally theoretically, find a stash of JRRT's tobacco and put it in a new tin. So?

              >But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?
              >
              > -- Lynn --
              >

              >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> >Roken is dodelijk
              >>
              >> That, in case you're wondering, is the Dutch equivalent of the Surgeon
              >> General's warning: "Smoking is deadly."
              >>
              >> >Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell!
              >>
              >> Tobacco can smell OK as long as nobody tries to light it on fire or anything
              >> stupid like that.
              >>
              >> >There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode
              >> >and the price on the seal (which says Benelux)
              >> >is in euros, so it can't be too old.
              >>
              >> It'd be amusing if one tried to claim that this particular tin had belonged
              >> to Tolkien himself -- rather like the author's autographed copy of The
              >> Silmarillion.

            • lynnmaudlin
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
                well that would reduce the value of the tin of JRRT's tobacco by a great deal, don'cha think?

                ...you do know I'm being playful, right?