Tolkien's tobacco

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
      A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien) -- tin says Capstan original Navy cut, Roken is dodelijk, made in Denmark under licence of Imperial Tobacco Limited England. Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell! There’s no date on the tin, but it has a barcode and the price on the seal (which says Benelux) is in euros, so it can’t be too old.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
        From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

        >Roken is dodelijk

        That, in case you're wondering, is the Dutch equivalent of the Surgeon
        General's warning: "Smoking is deadly."

        >Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell!

        Tobacco can smell OK as long as nobody tries to light it on fire or anything
        stupid like that.

        >There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode
        >and the price on the seal (which says Benelux)
        >is in euros, so it can't be too old.

        It'd be amusing if one tried to claim that this particular tin had belonged
        to Tolkien himself -- rather like the author's autographed copy of The
        Silmarillion.
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
          >A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien)

          Just when I thought the Tolkien collector's market was saturated....

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
            cool-- my son would occasionally smoke a pipe - a nice pipe tobacco is quite lovely, actually.

            -- Lynn --

            > A friend of mine just gave me something very cool -- an empty tin from the brand of tobacco Tolkien smoked (she said this was confirmed by Adam Tolkien) -- tin says Capstan original Navy cut, Roken is dodelijk, made in Denmark under licence of Imperial Tobacco Limited England. Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell! There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode and the price on the seal (which says Benelux) is in euros, so it can't be too old.
            >
            > Janet Brennan Croft

          • lynnmaudlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
              *heh!*

              But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?

              -- Lynn --

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
                And I suppose you could, equally theoretically, find a stash of JRRT's tobacco and put it in a new tin. So?

                >But David, one COULD have an autographed copy of the Silmarillion - as long as the autograph was on a bookplate! Don't know that JRRT ever signed a stack of bookplates, did he?
                >
                > -- Lynn --
                >

                >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> >Roken is dodelijk
                >>
                >> That, in case you're wondering, is the Dutch equivalent of the Surgeon
                >> General's warning: "Smoking is deadly."
                >>
                >> >Still smells like pipe tobacco inside -- a lovely smell!
                >>
                >> Tobacco can smell OK as long as nobody tries to light it on fire or anything
                >> stupid like that.
                >>
                >> >There's no date on the tin, but it has a barcode
                >> >and the price on the seal (which says Benelux)
                >> >is in euros, so it can't be too old.
                >>
                >> It'd be amusing if one tried to claim that this particular tin had belonged
                >> to Tolkien himself -- rather like the author's autographed copy of The
                >> Silmarillion.

              • lynnmaudlin
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
                  well that would reduce the value of the tin of JRRT's tobacco by a great deal, don'cha think?

                  ...you do know I'm being playful, right?