Re: REALLY Important Mythcon Announcement

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
      And it might well be better. It will probably be in the 90s, but it hopefully won't be above 100. If I remember, it was well over 100 during the Oklahoma Mythcon!

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
        "Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint..."

        Highs and lows for Mythcon 2006 were:

        Friday -- 100 / 83
        Saturday -- 102 / 76
        Sunday -- 103 / 78
        Monday -- 97 / 75

        (In degrees Fahrenheit.)

        Source: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/climate/get_norman.php

        -Merlin

        ---Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:
        > And it might well be better. It will probably be in the 90s, but it hopefully won't be above 100. If I remember, it was well over 100 during the Oklahoma Mythcon!
      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
          Sorry, David, that's an embarrassingly bad announcement, isn't it? Good thing I'm not being paid to make confusing announcements (no, I do that for free). MYTHCON 41 will happen a week earlier than the initial date with which the committee, the Stewards, and the Mythsoc worked. The "week later" comment was meant to reference *when* SMU promised we would have the conference date confirmed: they said we would know by Thanksgiving and we didn't; we were confirmed a week later.

          Sorry -*blush*- thinking and typing simultaneously, not editing myself well... I beg off due to fatigue; last week was NUTS for me.

          I am sure that Randy & Jason & team will insure that coffee is served in copious amounts. We're relatively good at not repeating the same mistakes (new and different mistakes, that's the ticket!).

          Sorry for the confusion--

          -- Lynn --

          > "lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
          >
          > > THE DATES HAVE CHANGED - the new date is July 9-12, 2010
          > >- that's one week earlier than we anticipated & announced as our
          > >target date.
          >
          > Well, thank you for informing us. No skin off our teeth, whatever problems
          > it may create for others. The only thing I'm unhappy about is that we have
          > to be in TEXAS in JULY. Air conditioning! I intend to dart inside and not
          > emerge for three days.
          >
          > >So we're a week later than SMU anticipated.
          >
          > OK, color me confused but in the previous paragraph you said (correctly)
          > that we're a week _earlier_ than anticipated.
          >
          > > There are several really good aspects to this change that have to
          > >do with the space available to us at SMU and the groups on campus
          > >at the same time as Mythcon
          >
          > Just as long as we're not locked up again with a football team who are
          > forbidden from having coffee.

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
            heh! Better because he has more letters in his name... (Lynn the Simple)

            > David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:
            >
            > >Can't be much worse than Oklahoma in August! :-)
            >
            > "Sauron: Not much worse than Saruman!"

          • lynnmaudlin
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
              You young'uns should take heart: I've gotten better at coping with heat as I age (think "fine wine" rather than old broad) so I didn't remember that Norman was that warm - and I had one of the little cottages so I left the building several times every day! What I remember about that was the cicadas making Big Noise-- don't have those in SoCal.

              Nah, I think it will be hard to displace the 2nd Milwaukee Mythcon (1999, Mythcon 30) from the high water mark for hot & humid Mythcons lacking air conditioning. IIRC, David & Berni abandoned the site & bought themselves a hotel room for the duration. We were right on the lake & I understand it's usually moderated by the "lake effect" so our location didn't have A/C ("you won't need it..." Famous last words).

              I missed Mary Stolzenbach's Mythcon in Nashville (*sigh* - how very sad that makes me; let that be a lesson to you: don't miss Mythcon!) - what was the weather like there?

              -- Lynn --

            • jbcroft@ou.edu
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
                See, not that bad! ;)