Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter in the Original English?

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 9, 2000
      sschaper@... writes:

      > Does anyone know how I might obtain the third volume of HP in the
      > original English, rather than the dumbed-down American translation?

      Go to http://www.amazon.co.uk and order by credit card. They take care of
      the exchange and everything, and it arrives, not by the next owl, but
      reasonably swiftly.

      I am still waiting to compare my English Vol 1 and the American Vol 1 and see
      how extensive the changes really are. I noticed that Vol 4 had plenty of
      very Brit expressions which our young fry seem to be handling o.k.

      I have noted that Hagrid speaks pretty much the same weird dialect in the UK
      version.

      Mary S
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 15, 2000
        >I read that the publisher thought that Americans wouldn't buy a book,
        >especially for children, if it had "philosopher's" anything in the title.
        >Alas! Probably too close to the truth.

        So publishers may think, narrow-mindedly. I like to think that even
        Americans might find a phrase like "philosopher's stone" intriguing rather
        than off-putting. I do, and certainly children are attracted to such
        things, even if some adults are not. I first read about the Philosopher's
        Stone in Flash comics in the 1960s, when DC were throwing all sorts of
        education at its young audience without us realizing, and liked the sound
        of the words as much as the concept.

        Rowling's publishers, both of them I gather, of course also felt that no
        boy would read a book by a female author, hence "J.K." rather than
        "Joanne". It never bothered me as a young reader who wrote a book as long
        as it was good, and there can be few male Harry Potter fans now who don't
        know that Rowling is a woman.

        Wayne Hammond